PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Light Tackle advantages.

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

Great page today from Bernd. https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... ly-fishing

I’m inclined to agree with him. Although here I suspect the biggest disadvantage with fly tackle is that it takes longer to execute a fast shot (because you have to backcast first).

I’m of the opinion that not only does lighter tackle give better take feelings but I think because the thinner line gives less resistance and it’s my belief that the fish hangs on to the fly fractionally longer.

Has anyone had the chance to study this or have anything to add?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Graeme H »

There is a situation I've experienced quite often where I believe fly gear can be faster. If I'm blind casting or I've just made a cast and I see a fish appear suddenly in some other location, I can quickly pick up the fly and reposition it with minimal line retrieval.

With spin gear, I need to wind the lure all the way in before I can make another cast.

Of course, if my mate has spin gear and I have fly gear and neither of us has cast, he's on the fish before me.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s very true Graeme. Excellent point! One advantage of a floating line for sure!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Willy Franzen

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Willy Franzen »

On the contrary, won't added resistance help set the hook--especially if you're fishing in some current? I need to think about this more, but I imagine that there are times when you don't feel the take but the resistance of the line is just enough to embed the point of the hook, and then when the fish turns or the line comes tight, the hook penetrates further.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a nice theory! In practise, for me anyway, it doesn’t work that way. I switched to a 4WT for virtually all my trout fishing about 4 years ago and the sensitivity and the ability to hook fish from subtle takes has been an immense improvement. I think with the resistance of the heavier line they simply spit the fly out faster. And with a heavy line you might not feel it at all.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao
  That is very intresting subject, and I hope it will help me with more hookups.
   First-
saltwater, moving tide, blind casting. Try to keep the fly line tight, but not hooking much. My exuse is when I look around and see guys with bait and soft plastics not hooking much either- i hope I can change it
    The big frustration began with carp. I see the fish, I cast to it and nada.
  Asked around and I've been told that carp spits it very quick and a loooot of takes are missed.
Im trying to keep the line tight again, figure8 slow retrive to be always in contact, but no sucsses.
  Told to try with strike indicator. Did it for couple of times now- still no carp, but funny thing.
In a spot where I passed my fly many times with no indicator( and nothing), this time same spot with indicator I cought 3 catfish.
   When I saw the indicator going down I striked- fish on, but there was NO floating line movement, changinh tension, and felt NOTHING in my line hand.

Looking forward to read more here...
Cheers
Mike
Bernd Ziesche

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Willy Franzen wrote:On the contrary, won't added resistance help set the hook--especially if you're fishing in some current? I need to think about this more, but I imagine that there are times when you don't feel the take but the resistance of the line is just enough to embed the point of the hook, and then when the fish turns or the line comes tight, the hook penetrates further.
Hi Willy,
It all depends on what species of fish we aim for. Pike for example in a high percentage of takes doesn't realize something to be wrong and keeps the fly. He then runs off and hooks himself against us pulling on the other end. A mullet instead typically sucks in the fly and we have less than half a second before the fly is out again. Fast stripping or seeing both the fly and the fish are the 2 big strategies here. An Atlantic salmon is often somewhere in the middle. He may grab the fly above him and bite several times in it before moving back down. Now you may wait for the salmon to set the hook himself against the resistance which the line in the current offers. But in low currents many experts instead pull as soon as they feel any take. Thats because the resistance isnt big enough in low current. Those fishing in clear water will know, that seeing the salmon's mouth close on the fly is the always best moment to set the hook. So all in all it depends on the conditions and the species of fish what works best. On Zander in winter you are nowhere near to be in the game with an avg equipment in AFTMA 7 to 9. A lot of chances will be missed unless the water is shallow (below 2m). For me the resistance of our line damping the takes is one of the biggest parts being still totally overlooked. Otherwise we would have a few special fly lines here. I didn't find one! Regards Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Willy Franzen

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Willy Franzen »

I'm not familiar with Zander, but it sounds like they are very subtle takers--at least in the winter. What kind of flies and retrieves are you using?

Steelhead are often subtle takers, but they're generally in a lot of current. I was taught to "drop a loop" when they take a fly fished on a dry line--hold 18-36 inches of line between your fingers and the reel and let it slip when you feel a take. Then let the fish take drag off the reel, and only after that do you strike with the rod. With a sinking line, no loop. Just let the fish take drag until you really feel him.

I'm generally fishing long rods (well short for spey rods) with Skagit heads that must offer a lot of resistance because the line is so thick. Now I'm wondering how much this affects the sensation of takes. Some takes feel like nothing more than a leaf hitting your line in the current, so I'm sure many are missed.
Bernd Ziesche

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Zander suck in mostly. Then they just spit the fly out in the same second. Since they often follow the fly, they mostly come from behind putting slack in the leader. The good thing is, that they forced me to improve a lot.
I fished Steelhead in the Skeena tribs. Downstream swing like you described. Caught some and missed to hook some takes. Then I also fished nymph + strike indicator in the dead drift upstream. Here I hooked all takes and lost none! Pretty effective. Especially when you know where exactly they are.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

Never tried dropping a loop; is this fast water? With trout I don’t strike but I rarely give slack. Are you swinging or teasing them?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”