PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Nymphing Strategies

Moderator: Paul Arden

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Lou Bruno »

I use several nymphing technics, I do have a favorite. That being, split shot at the end of my tippet, nymph tied above. Not a fan of Czech nymphing.

So, like to hear from others on this, and if you have a preference.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m a disciple (very much in learning stage) of French Nymphing, Lou. It’s completely changed my approach and success in nymphing technical waters. That said I’m open to all techniques. The only one I don’t like is fishing under indicators.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Viking Lars »

I'm not a fan of czech nymph either, nor French nymphing for that matter. For me, flyfishing is flycasting, and flycasting is loops :-). Not to discuss that definition, because I'm no no way judgmental - not least because I use both methods on occasion (okay, I have very little insight into French nymphing, but I do occasionally fish heavy nymphs using only a long leader).

I like short and medium range nymphing, using "real" flycasting and sometimes a floating indicator, most often just a braided loop Oliver Edwards style. I've just recently dived into the more modern indicators made with multicoloured nylon, spiralled nylon and stuff like that. I find that quite interesting.

Lars
Lou Bruno

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Lou Bruno »

I like "long" leaders when nymphing , I deviate from the prescribed 2.5 times the water depth.

I like the RIO indicator nymphing line.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Paul Arden »

Usually my leaders are about 2.5 times the rod length. In the case of FN they are about 10m long :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Thomas »

Viking Lars wrote:I'm not a fan of czech nymph either, nor French nymphing for that matter. For me, flyfishing is flycasting, and flycasting is loops :-). Not to discuss that definition, because I'm no no way judgmental - not least because I use both methods on occasion (okay, I have very little insight into French nymphing, but I do occasionally fish heavy nymphs using only a long leader).

I like short and medium range nymphing, using "real" flycasting and sometimes a floating indicator, most often just a braided loop Oliver Edwards style. I've just recently dived into the more modern indicators made with multicoloured nylon, spiralled nylon and stuff like that. I find that quite interesting.

Lars
Lars,

Im with you on this one - flyfishing is flycasting and flycasting is loops. :) A couple pf questions:

1. Is the Oliver Edwards way roughly the same as the Joe Humphreys way?

When your nymphing Oliver Edwards way, what kind of a leaders do you use?

Cheers, Thomas
Bernd Ziesche

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lou,
When fishing the fly above the split shot, which knot and how exactly do you add the fly to the leader?
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lou Bruno

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Lou Bruno »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:Hi Lou,
When fishing the fly above the split shot, which knot and how exactly do you add the fly to the leader?
Cheers
Bernd
Bernd

I add a section of tippet, about 8in to my main tippet using a blood knot.
At the tag end of that tippet I tie a basic overhand knot. I attach my split shot, knot prevents the split shot from sliding off.

Above the blood knot I add a section of 4X tippet using a perfection loop. I bring the 4X threw the perfection loop. The perfection loop helps keep the 4X ridged. The 4X will now pivot, swing in the current. This technique is used in Polish nymphing.

Hope this helps.
Lou
Viking Lars

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Viking Lars »

Thomas - I'm not familiar with Joe Humphrey's setup, but the basics of Oliver Edwards' setup is the braided loop between his flyline and leader. He uses a bright orange one as an indicator, and the hollow structure holds a lot of floatant.

I use the same - brightly coloured (or black, which I find easier to see in some conditions), but my leader is different. Some would argue that it's not a leader at all, since I use level mono - typically 0,16mm or 0,14mm. It's a bit extreme and casts very bad, but it sinks very readily and often I need just 1,5 times the water depth to reach the bottom.

Lars
Bernd Ziesche

Nymphing Strategies

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lou Bruno wrote: I add a section of tippet, about 8in to my main tippet using a blood knot.
At the tag end of that tippet I tie a basic overhand knot. I attach my split shot, knot prevents the split shot from sliding off.
Hi Lou,
that's how I used to fish for mullets at times.
Then I realized the relatively long side arm supporting to miss a lot of takes (be feeling them) and only used it when seeing both the fly and the fish.
Drop shot anglers position their jigs/lures above the weight as well. But they hang it directly on the main line. I was wondering, if we might have room to improve by doing this as well?
Regards and thanks
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Flyfishing”