PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod born anchor casting AKA Bonkerspey

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Michael Rebholz
Answers: 0

Post by Michael Rebholz »

Hi All,
This is my second post here as i m knew to the board here and the video is an introduction into a new casting style i came up with. It evolved out of play and i m here to share this with you and hope some of you in here can put this to use and enjoy it.
I m not here to fight any fights, i m here to share a method that is in my opinion well worth experimenting with and sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBrdnBNSTQ&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBrdnBNSTQ&t=7s

tight lines everybody and thanks for having me here
Michael
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Hey Michael!
Welcome to the Board.
Interesting trick, but in the end, it's still a waterborne anchor as I see it. You might throw the D-loop off the rod, but it still goes behind and the leader is still stuck on the water.

Lars
Michael Rebholz

Hi Lars,

Thank you, the anchor is the same as in any speycast. Yes that s correct. I agree. Yet they can be performed off the rod in airborn or waterborn versions (i did a video about this one too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLEuCq6W1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLEuCq6W1s
Nothing ever changes on the anchor. It supposed to be the same in all speycasts, isnt it?

TL
Michael
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Michael,

Something I do is aerialise all the Spey moves and have an airborne anchor. The anchor gives the D-loop stability for longer casts, but for shorter casts I find it unnecessary. A good example is a completely aerielised Double Spey. No line stick, no white mouse, no anchor. There is no Spey cast that can’t be fully aerielised. In fact historically before the Continental Europeans usage for the Switch Cast to be a Jump or Dynamic Roll became more widespread, in the UK - when I first learned the term “Switch” - it was for a Single Spey without an anchor.

I actually like your “rod-born” anchor and will have a play with the Lumi-line this week.

Many thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michael Rebholz

Hi Paul,

I m glad you want to give it a try and hope u can make use of it.

If i follow simons gawesworths" 3 basic speycasting principles:

Dloop
Anchor with as little as possible linestick
180 degree principle

I end up with every speycast having an anchor.
They get their names not from the anchor but from where (or which medium) the line is coming from before being anchored.

If you say you re doing arealized double spey without any white mouse, i agree. thats possible. But how do you do it without any anchor or linestick? I dont understand that...do u make a backcast then instead?
And you say:" THere is no speycast that can be fully aerialized" i agree on this one too, because they all need an anchor and that is indeppendent from where the line was coming from before it was anchored.

Probably there is something i dont understand here and i have a mistake in my logic.

I m nearly sure if you spend a little bit of time with Bonkerspey you ll probably soon find applications for your jungle fishing styles, BTW how was the fishing and thanks for giving me that login data so quick.

Tight lines

Michael
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Michael,
great to have you on board here, too!
For me it's the D-Loop in the first place, which you park/position on your rod while the anchor is (as Lars mentioned) still sliding on the water surface.
Besides that I don't care much about names but love all sorts of new casts.
Thanks for bringing those your casts public. Oh, and I like your vids. Well done, mate!
Some more reflexions about anchor groups:
https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... nchor-cast
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Michael Rebholz wrote: If i follow simons gawesworths" 3 basic speycasting principles:

Dloop
Anchor with as little as possible linestick
180 degree principle
I would want to differentiate between

a) characteristics and b) concepts

a) 1) a back loop that doesn't unroll, but anchors on the water (D-loop, V-loop, U-loop or anything in between), 2) a desired change of direction according to the old defintion of Spey casting

b) 1) anchor + loop + rod movement as good in one only plane as possible, 2) smallest and smoothest anchor coming with lowest possible slip, 3) The bigger the loop, the easier distance gets (more line to be accelerated behind the rod tip pre rotation).

Principle is a tricky term! Concept is less precisely as far as I understand and thus leaves little more room when not being 100% correct all of the time. Well, english isn't my native language, but that's what I was told. :p

I'd like to share an old fp of mine as well:
https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... ly-casting
Regards
Bernd
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Michael,

It’s possible to make a D loop in the air and make a delivery cast. So it’s not a backcast but a D loop but with an “air anchor”.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Had that one in mind as well in my last fp. Named it air consistent anchors. Not sure it really is an anchor still :p
Cheers
Bernd
Michael Rebholz

Thanks boys for having me here,
i really appreciate your feedback and its great to chat to aknowledged people about this and i thank you for that.

Considering the "air consistent anchor" - i like that one - it reminds me very much of an oval cast or belgium cast(or a morph stage in between Dloop cast and the above mentioned. And it works i agree. I d say its very dependend on the length of line you re moving through the air (and rod length accordingly, i suppose - and anglers height and wading depth))

that change of direction thing and the 180 degree stuff is a bit of queer one:
with shorter heads you can even anchor rectangular to the target direction - i suppose the heavy short disttributed mass just unsticks the anchor from anywhere (unless not too big or sunk) and delivers it in forward cast direction. Nevertheless i do not advise and teach it because of best possible Dloop alignment and as soon as lines get longer into long belly spey lines it gets more important, but saying that if you watch the tournament speycasters, they have their anchors many a times in front o f them too - and i was advised by one of them not too pay too much attention about anchor direction as long as there is enough mass behind the rod tip (as aitor coteron said the other day) so well it works obviously also with the anchor not always perfectly aligned too. Saying that i think for two reasons it makes sense to stick to it (at least for teaching):
1 to avoid railway track crossings
2 to develop a good understanding of what change of direction is really about

btw the biggest degrees of freedom to choose from where to sweep your dloop to thus determine the forward cast direction is when the nail knot is exactly under the rod tip. This configuration alone allows for sweep angle changes of depending on line length about 30 to 90 degrees.

I have bother uploading more videos on youtube, my conection here in backcountry donegal seems not to be able to cope with too much data - not exactly the jungle here but not far of sometimes.

cheers lads

Michael

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”