PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Static Roll Cast - Hauling

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It most certainly can. Just like with the overhead cast if it’s tight loops you want then hauling will create the tightest. Try taking what feel like all the power out of the rod hand and deliver using a fast haul instead.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:Paul, Lasse,
Former FFFE and EFFA asked for the line hanging down the tip for at least one second (or more). Pulling the line back it should never leave the water at any point.
Inconsistancies in examinations took place like in all organisations of course...
Lasse,
About the video: 25m beach to plank. That cast was easily 20m.
Lots of inconsistencies then and from the same examiners :D

And cool, those last 5 meters are long though ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Subtropicalspey

Post by Subtropicalspey »

In order to get max distance, releasing the line early is a huge catalyst! Like Paul I had to learn the 18m EFFA static roll with no line behind the tip at the start of the delivery stroke. I got stucked on 18,5m. Then by accident I hit 20+. Early release was the accident. Never had to train to easily hit those 18m again.
Hi Bernd,
What is the mechanism by which releasing the line early increases your distance in the roll cast? Is it that you are lengthening the rod leg of the D loop?

Gene
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Gene,
Good question, not easy to answer though. I think I can use a wider arc when releasing early without loosing a) proper trajectory and b) proper loop front. Seems to me the line starts shooting earlier and trajectory aims higher here. Would have to slomo-study to back up. What I don't have to back up: The effect is significant! I try to release that early, that my line almost starts slipping little before my rod reaches the straight position.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi, just a few comments to the latest postings,

I've choosen the video from Thomas, because there are basically very few alternatives. Because loop formation is different to a typical overhead cast, I wouldn't apply the same requirements - to me it looks good. Paul is right, the specifications for the IFFF roll cast and the EFFA are quite different. I'm not a fan of both organisations, but to me the EFFA restriction makes more sense; at least I know the classic roll cast this way (a useful cast if you don't have any backspace). Tried this cast on the lawn and was with a DT4 in the 18-19m range (EFFA rules); extending the line further behind the tip makes the cast much easier. My subjective impression was, that a short haul seems to improve the cast for me, but indeed the time window is very small. Very late rotation helps too (-> like Simon shows here very well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMUL0FN4HxA).

Thanks,
Torsten
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

“Hi John,
Can you describe how you do it in detail and what it does for you?
Thanks
Bernd”

Hi Bernd,

My haul is a bit different. I use it to aid turnover. As the loop is unfurling over the water I do a double haul. I leave it as late as I can and always ensure the return is completed just as the last bit of the fly line is about to straighten.

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Torsten wrote:My subjective impression was, that a short haul seems to improve the cast for me, but indeed the time window is very small. Very late rotation helps too
Hi Torsten,
As always, it depends on the specific style one is using, I think.
The way Thomas was adding the haul, I don't think it would slow his rod rotation.
I easily can think of other styles, where adding a haul would not end up in the same max rod rotation. It may be a bit like throwing a stone. I can throw it further, if I don't make a pantomimic haul with my other arm at the same time.

Late rotation of course adds more weight being accelerated during rod rotation. Biggest key by far ime.
A sharp short haul perfectly matched does help me to get a proper roll cast. Depends on the set up, if it gives me a few additional centimeters. In regard of teaching I hardly ever saw someone hitting more distance when spontaneously adding the haul. More of the opposite.

Probably it might be interesting for those mostly adding the haul to that cast trying to work their way into the max distance without hauling and opposite for those usually not adding the haul. Often we forget to have been trained to one or the other over a long time. :p
Regards
Bernd
P.s.: Great distance you hit there, mate!
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

Torsten wrote: My subjective impression was, that a short haul seems to improve the cast for me, but indeed the time window is very small.
Hi Torsten,

it works for me, that is why I do a haul. ;)

Cheers,
Thomas

Return to “Flycasting”