PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Functional roll casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Functional roll casts

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Cool!

As for the thread, I use the rollcast regularly, pick ups, limited space etc.
With a very short heads (micro skagit type) and overgrown rivers its extremely good for changing direction casts when swinging a fly.

Teaching, stable cast, everything can be stopped all along and delivery is the same as a overhead cast, so that part is being ingrained early on. And turn it around and roll cast backwards, the backcast become the delivery and thus the whole overhead cast is being practice in a nice way. Wax on, wax off type of approach.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Functional roll casts

Post by Morsie »

gordonjudd wrote:
AND a tapered leader makes it a hell of a lot easier. I'm currently using some of RIO's saltwater tapered butt sections
Morsie,

Do you have the means to measure the diameter profile RIO uses in those tapered saltwater leaders? I am always interested to see what professional designers come up with in profiles to help turn over heavy flies.

To answer your question Gordy.
Butt .82
20cms .82
60cms .80
80cms .80
1m .80
1.2m .80
1.4m .80
1.6m .79
1.8m .77
2m .69
2.2m .63
2.4m .59
2.6m .58
2.8m .58
3m .57

I use this leader as a butt section and connect my tippet directly to this using a slim beauty knot - a GREAT knot for connecting materials and vastly dissimilar diameters. A friend of mine showed me this connection which he uses for his tippets when fishing very complex currents, especially spring creeks where he wants the tippet to land in a pile. So he's connection 1.5 to 2meters of tippet - 0x at the end of the taper to 5x. Bloody beautiful collapsed leader presentations are possible, and longer drag free drifts. In the salt this particular leader as a butt section makes turning over chunky crabs and shrimp flies a hell of a lot easier, especially with a roll cast.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Morsie

Functional roll casts

Post by Morsie »

Do you have the means to measure the diameter profile RIO uses in those tapered saltwater leaders? I am always interested to see what professional designers come up with in profiles to help turn over heavy flies.
Butt .82
20cms .82
60cms .80
80cms .80
1m .80
1.2m .80
1.4m .80
1.6m .79
1.8m .77
2m .69
2.2m .63
2.4m .59
2.6m .58
2.8m .58
3m .57

I use this leader as a butt section and connect my tippet directly to this using a slim beauty knot - a GREAT knot for connecting materials and vastly dissimilar diameters. A friend of mine showed me this connection which he uses for his tippets when fishing very complex currents, especially spring creeks where he wants the tippet to land in a pile. So he's connection 1.5 to 2meters of tippet - 0x at the end of the taper to 5x. Bloody beautiful collapsed leader presentations are possible, and longer drag free drifts. In the salt this particular leader as a butt section makes turning over chunky crabs and shrimp flies a hell of a lot easier, especially with a roll cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Functional roll casts

Post by Paul Arden »

I was playing with this again today. To pick up a popper I gently roll the line to aerielise just the line and then make my backcast. The popper is pulled under at the start of the stroke when the leader is sunk and this is what causes the problems. The advantage of the roll pick up is that it can aerielise the leader - here I actually grease my leader but that’s another story.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michael Rebholz

Functional roll casts

Post by Michael Rebholz »

I use a lot of static rollcasts too,
if the line is repositioned correctly before (in my opinion even a double spey isnt much more than a rollcast really with a repositioning movement of line before its execution.

especially in very windy conditions the static rollcast is a cool thing as your line sticking to the water cant be blown away.

in my opinion static rollcasting is the mother and the father of all speycasting and i practice it in every casting session

i also use it to try a new rod and line combo, everytime a get a new setup first couple of casts is usually a set of rollcasts, given there is water. It delivers a very clear picture about any setup within 3 casts for me, after that i can tell u if i d fish it or not.

Cheers and tight lines

|Michael
Mangrove Cuckoo

Functional roll casts

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul

I have learned a few things...

If the loop is directed higher in the air, about the length of the leader high, the popper will lift more vertical.

Also, the material in the butt section is critical. It must be much more supple than my usual mono or that section will be too straight. I have not been able to find less stiff mono with the right mass yet.

Greasing the leader is an interesting idea!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Functional roll casts

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Gary I’ll play with that (trajectory). I generally throw a light soft loop, For the butt on the 10WT I’m using a twisted leader of 40 or 50lbs b/s. It’s four strands in the butt, however the twisted nature makes it more supple.

I grease the leader with lip balm. That helps stop it sinking while waiting for a rise. It doesn’t seem to affect stike rates. I’d love to find a way of making the bite wire float but haven’t come up with anything that may not get eaten itself. However I will try experimenting with a foam ball (/strike indicator?) at the front of the wire to see what happens.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Subtropicalspey

Functional roll casts

Post by Subtropicalspey »

[quote][/quote]In the salt this particular leader as a butt section makes turning over chunky crabs and shrimp flies a hell of a lot easier, especially with a roll cast.

Hi Morsie,
How do you attach the Rio leader to your fly line?
Gene
Morsie

Functional roll casts

Post by Morsie »

Loop to loop Gene. It does create an issue in the rod tip with the perfection loop tag, but I quickly learned to cut the butt end of the leader back by about 2 feet to compensate.
gordonjudd

Functional roll casts

Post by gordonjudd »

Morsie,
Thanks for taking the time to profile the Rio saltwater leader you like for casting heavy flies.

Was that set of measurements taken from a 30# or 40# leader?

I see they spec the diameter of the 40# leader to be .61 mm (24 mils) and the 30# leader to be .559mm (22 mils) which bracket the .57 mm value you measured. It is probably just a matter of measurement tolerance.

It appears they have a similar rapid change in diameter that is similar to the roll off that is in the leader design that Steve Rajeff recommends for the Bass Bug game.

Gordy

Return to “Flycasting”