PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Salmon Fishing explained

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys, I have many questions. But can we start with:

1) how does Pacific Salmon fishing differ from Atlantic Salmon? Do the fish behave the same or are the methods different?

The second question I have, is

2) how do you decide your fly? I'm guessing we're mostly looking at size, but colour may be important too?

Thanks!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Snake Pliskin
Answers: 0

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Pretty huge questions actually!
1. I know zero about pacific salmon!
2. This will probably vary with tradition etc. I usually look at speed, visibility, and temperature for fly choice. To explain that further would take a while!
petevicar

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by petevicar »

There are 5 different types of pacific salmon:
Sockeye, Pink, Chum, King and Silver.
Fishing tactics are different for all of them. Sockeyes don't eat at all and are only ever snagged. Pinks run only every other year.
There is a lot to talk about in terms of tactics.
Chums and silvers will take surface flies, Kings tend to be caught deep. Pinks can be caught nymphing.
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

I usually look at speed, visibility, and temperature for fly choice. To explain that further would take a while!
OK 3) What are the major fly patterns/types/categories? Then we can possibly make 2 easier!

Flycasting Definitions
Ben_d

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Ben_d »

Hi Paul,

Q2, Without wanting to over simplify things.

Colder the water, the bigger and (sometimes) heavier the fly. The less clarity, the brighter the fly. Colder water needs a slower deeper swing. Warm clear water usually means fishing nearer the top with smaller patterns at more speed.

In terms of patterns, if on dressed hooks then I usually go for a gold cascade, silver stoat with a green tail or a standard stoats tail. I have other stuff but rarely have it in my pocket. I like the look of the above so they are generally what I tie on and because of that, they catch most of my fish hence I'm feeling confident and fish well with them.

If talking tubes I fish Willie Gunns with varying amounts of black in the mix, some with a gold body, some standard black bodies, red francis, black green & yellow fox winged flies in bottle tubes.
I also have very small plastic tubes for low clear water and a few different Sunray type patterns.

I am experimenting with dries & nymphs and have had some degree of success with these but not enough to draw any conclusions or provide any guidance to anyone else yet!

Best advice you could have would be to read Falkus, the casting & tackle stuff is a bit dated but in my experience the majority of it holds as well now as it did when it was written.

Cheers

Ben
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Ben, that's great info. How big is big and how small, small?

I guess this brings up 4 & 5...

4) how far through the water column will Salmon rise to take a fly?

And

5) how much influence does the presentation make? Constant retrieve vs Speeded-up vs Stripped. And do they prefer the fly side on or dangling arse downstream?

:)

Flycasting Definitions
Nick

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Nick »

petevicar wrote:There are 5 different types of pacific salmon:
Sockeye, Pink, Chum, King and Silver.
Fishing tactics are different for all of them. Sockeyes don't eat at all and are only ever snagged. Pinks run only every other year.
There is a lot to talk about in terms of tactics.
Chums and silvers will take surface flies, Kings tend to be caught deep. Pinks can be caught nymphing.
Just 'cos I'm feeling contrary today ;)

There are 6 species of Pacific salmon - you missed the Masu salmon from Japan. Steelhead can also be considered a type of Pacific salmon

Sockeye do eat sometimes.

Pinks have a fixed two year lifecycle, so generally there is a larger run alternating with a smaller run every other year.

All 5 Eastern species of Pacific Salmon can be caught nymphing. I wonder if Masu salmon and Atlantics can too? (I did once catch an Atlantic on a sz 14 pheasant tail nymph, so I suppose they can)

Fishing tactics are different for all of them...
Snake Pliskin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Snake Pliskin »

4. Depends on water temp. The warmer it is, the more likely they'll look up. However, I might add that that isn't always the case. Scandinavians catch on surface flies in cold water, and sometimes deeply sunk flies are the only way to catch in warmer temps. Experience helps!

5. Mostly the fly is swung on a static length of line I.e. not stripped. Speed of the fly depends mostly on fly size eg bigger means faster. I might add though that that is not the case in cold (sometimes) or coloured water where a big fly is mostly fished slowly.
In my experience, flies are taken from the side. Again not always the case - some people catch stripping the line on the dangle. Mostly from the side though I reckon.
I've got a boner for salmon fishing, but there are guys with so much more experience than me out there, and I think that is what counts. All "rules" with salmon are there to be broken.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

3) slightly off-topic (sorry). Have you tried induced nymphs and Glo-bugs? Burning questions for me!

Flycasting Definitions
Snake Pliskin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Snake Pliskin »

I think they do it with some success on the itchen and places like that, but I haven't tried it.

Return to “Beginners”