PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Squeezing fish for the pic

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Will
Answers: 0

Re: Squeezing fish for the pic

Post by Will »

Yep, I think that well-intentioned anglers used to one species (say carp, tench) often apply the same handling techniques to more sensitive species. If you treat trout and grayling the same way as carp, it’s not going to end well.

Education, and a precautionary principle is a good thing.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Will wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:26 pm
Carp for instance seem to be able to take prolonged handling/time out of water.

Yup, one of the reasons they are so widespread around, easy to transport :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally I don't think keeping trout out of water compares well to holding your breath works! Most people can hold their breath for 30-40 seconds and the world record is an unbelievable, get this, 24 minutes! So we are definitely better at this.

(This was a good read).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Majority of People feel uncomfortable after a few seconds, and thats without being super exited about having just caught and landed a fish...

Try doing any kind if work and holding your breath at the same time 😉

And yeah, was able to do over two minutes back when I was swimming alot and thought it fun to practice, can still do over a minut much to the amazement of my son...

Cheers
Lasse

t.z.

Post by t.z. »

The go pro mounted to the net in actions. You can maybe see that the fish had much more power. I needed to slow-mo severely to even have it visible long enough. They tend to dart out the net like no tomorrow.

This one moved slower but I had it out of the water for a few seconds. Let's not assume that there is a connection. I am not going to start collecting evidence on supporting this theory, However, I find these underwater shots very pleasing to watch. Much better than a fish in the air ... plus my ugly face.

Here's the cheap solution. I stole the idea from an orris video. God knows where they got it from.

Mind you, I like to eat trout too, but I then do not put them through a torture. They get knocked over the head very very quick and than treated in the most respectful manner by preparing them as tasty as possible.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

An interesting study on bonefish that Jono S posted quite some years ago. It did involve tagging, but not handling fish at all comes out very well by comparison.
http://www.jonoshales.com/fishing/Yeeti ... 202006.pdf
Looking where the netted area was in the pictures (next to GT food court central) they are fortunate any escaped the interest of the GT's.
Jon
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That is staggering, Jon. All handled bonefish died. Thanks for posting - that's remarkable information.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

Not sure what the slide showing the tagging is showing. That looks like a pretty nasty wound. Is it a post-mortem shot?
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve contacted Jono about this PDF. I’ll try to get hold of the author so I can follow up with a few questions. That’s an absolutely staggering result.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Will wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:15 pm Not sure what the slide showing the tagging is showing. That looks like a pretty nasty wound. Is it a post-mortem shot?
Looks like a post mortem shot showing the depth of the tag.

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Daily Planet”