PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Field Repair Tips

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Field Repair Tips

Post by Paul Arden »

I thought I'd start a topic on the above. Items I find indispensable are duck tape, string, rope, silcone/aquasure, superglue, a knife, and possibly epoxy and a multi-tool. A needle a thread are usually close by, as indeed is a flytying bobbin holder.

Anyway I'll start the topic with repairs to ripped backpacks/ waterproof sacks. Cover the tear on one or both sides with duck tape and aquasure over the top of each. I have rucksacks and bike bags that have had this repair for years. I've also used this method to repair ground sheets on tents.

Carbon rods, as you'll probably know, can often be fixed with a carbon insert glued inside the broken sections. When I was hiking all over NZ for years, I would carry spare carbon sections for this task. Cut the carbon section to fit inside and an inch and a half either side of the break, insert the section, glue both parts and whip over the top.

What are your repair tips?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk
Answers: 0

Re: Field Repair Tips

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Paul, I am much less intrepid, and a few years older, than you. I carry a spare bootlace, cable ties in a couple of sizes, antihistamine tablets, antihistamine cream, paracetamol, ibuprofen ... as you can see, I expect I am the thing most likely to break ;)

Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What sort of injury are the cable ties for, Andrew? Broken fingers? :)

I can’t remember ever being injured or getting sick outdoors. Cities - yep. Aeroplanes - yep. Lots of sick people in those places. I’ve had a few insect bites, but nothing serious. And apart from a few cuts and bruises from river crossings gone wrong, I’ve been fine. Oh - got crook from drinking water a couple of times in NZ on my first trip only.

Ashly put first aid kits in all the boats. I think now we are in the position to do most medical operations. In fact I’m considering opening a hospital on my days off.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

For first aid medicine, Betapred, cortison pills is good to have to remedy allergic reactions from snake bites or severe reactions to insect bites. Might be good in the jungle I think.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

“Allergic reaction to snake bites.”

That’s a phrase I’m not accustomed to reading. Death is the common reaction to snake bites in Australia. 😜
FFi CCI
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

I read about it on a swedish pharmacy site. There is one mildly venomous snake in Sweden. Most people get a similar reaction as to a Wasp sting, but sensitive people can react more harshly and there's seldom that anyone dies from a bite.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

One of our mutual friends, Jan in Gerik, was bitten by a scorpion when he put his shoe on a couple of months ago. That was in town, not in the jungle! He had a rather long trip to hospital.

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

Yes I recall that you told me. That's why I always looked in to my shoes before putting them on. I guess that the cortison pills might reduce the pain and lessen the shock, which is not a good state to be in. But I am just guessing here.

Return to “Manshit”