PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lars FP about the bullhsitting line manufacturers

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Lars FP about the bullhsitting line manufacturers

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Boisker wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:31 pm I just picked up a Cortland type 3 sink tip, grain weight supposedly 160 (it’s a 6w line)... only cast it on the grass this evening. It feels heavy compared to me usual floating line, but it has an aggressive taper, so I guess it would :D
I purchased it for some streamer fishing on smallish rivers, so will see how it goes.

I think my attitude to that particular line was similar to many people buying any line and mirrors the point Lasse made above ... I’ll only use it occasionally, it just had to do the job, namely sink the streamer. But it did feel different deciding which line to purchase- I have absolutely no knowledge of sinking or sink tip lines and have done very little streamer fishing. If I find myself spending more time with a streamer I’ll no doubt look into and getter better knowledge of what I want from the line :whistle:

Sinking lines tend to feel "heavier" for the same weight, they are thinner so loose less energy, and thus retain quite the momentum at turn over. Cast with care :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:06 pm
t.z. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 pm
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 pm What has more drag, a full DT 4 or a short belly 4 (really a 6) with very thin runningline behind it?
Should be easy to give a ballpark estimate on that one...

Cheers
Lasse
What about mending?
Do you mend alot when the fish just spooled you of a full flyline?

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse, I meant mending before the fish takes. Its not all imaginary sea trout fishing.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I received some Cortland lines recently (well 2yrs ago). Unfortunately they all felt overweight. I’ll weigh up when back shortly. They slowed my shot 😂
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Boisker wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:31 pm I just picked up a Cortland type 3 sink tip, grain weight supposedly 160 (it’s a 6w line)... only cast it on the grass this evening. It feels heavy compared to me usual floating line, but it has an aggressive taper, so I guess it would :D
I purchased it for some streamer fishing on smallish rivers, so will see how it goes.

I think my attitude to that particular line was similar to many people buying any line and mirrors the point Lasse made above ... I’ll only use it occasionally, it just had to do the job, namely sink the streamer. But it did feel different deciding which line to purchase- I have absolutely no knowledge of sinking or sink tip lines and have done very little streamer fishing. If I find myself spending more time with a streamer I’ll no doubt look into and getter better knowledge of what I want from the line :whistle:

Sinking lines tend to feel "heavier" for the same weight, they are thinner so loose less energy, and thus retain quite the momentum at turn over. Cast with care :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
That makes sense... the floating part is probably normally sized then, and just looks larger due to the thinner sinking length. I immediately had to dial in my casting stroke last night (quick play on grass), with a very short leader on my normal casting stroke had one hell of a kick... easy enough to ease of the power though, then it behaved itself :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

t.z. wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:06 pm
t.z. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 pm

What about mending?
Do you mend alot when the fish just spooled you of a full flyline?

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse, I meant mending before the fish takes. Its not all imaginary sea trout fishing.
I replied to Pauls 30 meter dash lots of drag comment... And not all dryfly fishing needs copious amount of mending on the water...
;)

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm I received some Cortland lines recently (well 2yrs ago). Unfortunately they all felt overweight. I’ll weigh up when back shortly. They slowed my shot 😂
Not surprised, been seeing alot of quick loading adverts :D

Are you really getting that old and fragile?

Old Boys comps will be a breeze 🤣

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Not sure how I’m getting old and fragile. 5 Ironmans next year. And I’m not chasing pussy around the course.

Let’s do one together I can make everything happen. Apart from your fitness. But I can help too.

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Heavier line weight slows the stroke with given rod. Easy to test. Particularly when it matters.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 pm Not sure how I’m getting old and fragile. 5 Ironmans next year. And I’m not chasing pussy around the course.

Let’s do one together I can make everything happen. Apart from your fitness. But I can help too.

Cheers,
Paul
Not doing any ironman, knees will not let me run that far 🤣

But willing to test the heavier line slower stroke given rod thing. How do you propose to set it up?

Cheers
Lasse

PS. You where faster last year :p

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah no hills. I was a bit fitter. But not where I need/want to be.

I don’t know man. Just hit some shots. It’s pretty fucking obvious. Hit the targets with the same rod and diffenerlt line weights. That’s what I did when I came here.

The “science” can follow us :D

The other way of course is to get off your arse and come fishing. All of Gerik is already waiting for your presence. So that should be easy.

Come on dude. Life has to get easier as you reach your prime!

Cheers, Paul

Ps I’m not going to take any excuses from you. :pirate:

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”