PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly cast "Planes"

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Fly cast "Planes"

Post by Lou Bruno »

During my previous fly casting session I got to thinking about the different "planes" we use while casting and in our teaching.

The three popular Planes are:
Rod Plane
Casting Plane
Line Plane

So, I did some quick research wanting to find a consensus on there definitions. So, I'd like to know the best definitions.

Lou
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Fly cast "Planes"

Post by Graeme H »

It's a question of interest to me too because rod and casting planes are mentioned in the MCI exam but are not defined there. They seem to be used interchangeably in the document.

I had assumed that the casting plane referred to the plane the loop occupied while the rod plane referred to the plane the rod occupied during the casting stroke. But since the MCI exam seems to swap between the two terms (eg task 3 and task 21), now I'm doubting myself.

Any ideas out there? Lasse?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Fly cast "Planes"

Post by Paul Arden »

I just have rod plane and loop plane. Casting plane could refer to either I suppose although I would normally associate that with rod plane.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”