PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling and taking power out of rod hand.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

clayed21085
Answers: 0

Re: Hauling and taking power out of rod hand.

Post by clayed21085 »

I'm sorry I meant "not relaxing" after the stop contributing to problems.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It shouldn’t cause problems. I notice that I often have a hard grip after the delivery on a comp distance cast. However as a method of curing tails I can offer no reasoning off the top of my head :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

What about excessive counterflex after the stop causing the tip to raise? I could see a severe bounce having the lines cross, I dunno.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

A tailing loop is quite a specific loop where a wave in the fly leg dips down and intersects the rod leg. So this can only occur during the casting stroke and not afterwards. Ie its cause is somewhere during the rod tip path from the start of the casting stroke up to RSP.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

Do you ever have students that punch it too hard at the end? Which raises the question is how hard is a hard stop? Just a slight squeeze or maintaining a really strong squeeze at the end, the word Powersnap I think can be misleading as a really powerful event when in reality you just need to stop the tip then immediately relax.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The hard stop is a teaching aid to prevent someone not stopping and to hopefully accelerate the rod towards the end of the stroke. Certainly it can cause problems in more advanced students particularly with the double haul where unlearning the hard stop becomes important for distance.

It sounds to me that you are in this second category :) That’s why thinking about the haul and forgetting about the stop is working for you (other discussion!). But this won’t apply to everyone and it probably didn’t apply to you when you first started! There are ladders to climb in learning casting I think you have moved to a different ladder! Well done by the way - now you are really learning to cast :D

Have a look at this - https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... -challenge This will help focus your casting practise and give you goals. If you want to work towards this I will certainly help and makes my life easier with regards your training too! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”