PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What are you thinking when you false cast?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: What are you thinking when you false cast?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Absolutely! I am pleased you are having a good time fishing, everything has been slow this year, especially with the boiling hot weather we have had (for the UK!) I've never see anything like it. I wonder if we will have another 'beast from the east' this year?

Interesting! Have you thought about brazing two hooks together before tying the fly, I.E. your normal hook (in the vice) and then attaching another hook on top of the shank facing upwards towards the front? This is probably exactly what you are describing though!

Fantastic tip Paul, that's really great :pirate:
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Jonathan
Answers: 0

Post by Jonathan »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:58 am I now believe that the buoyant flies sit at the roof of the mouth, and when they open their mouths that can pop out. So I’m going to tie a hook up there too!
nicholasfmoore wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:07 pm Interesting! Have you thought about brazing two hooks together before tying the fly, I.E. your normal hook (in the vice) and then attaching another hook on top of the shank facing upwards towards the front?
Similar to the tandem hook rig (usually with a tube fly) commonly used for marlin and sailfish (and in principle also to treble hooks).
Please be aware that unless the hooks can "separate" in the case of a break off there is a risk of hooking the fish in the top and bottom of the mouth (and "pinning" the mouth closed) with a possible fatal result. :sick:

Another instance of a thread that has wandered somewhat from the original topic. ;)
Jon
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I’ve used a loop of 40lb wire, doubled through the eye and whipped to the trailing hook. And then whipped and doubled back and whipped again on the leading hook.

And fuck me, I lost a fish yesterday on this fly. How that is possible I have no idea!!! I did catch a fish on it a couple of days before, but it was hooked on the first hook :laugh:

That’s one fish landed and six fish lost recently. Three of the lost fish were well over 5KG. For my next plan I will try delaying the strike for 10 seconds. I need to solve this problem. The problem might also be my hat. I lost my lucky hat to a tropical storm and that’s obviously a problem. Also it could be the tackle combination - a prototype HT7 and a SA Tropical Infinity 8.5WT. I can see why this is making the shots more challenging, but it’s hard to blame it for the lost fish :p

It’s tough at the moment, in fact it’s always tough, but I would feel much better about the fishing with 7 fish landed and not one landed and six lost 😡

Cheers! Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”