PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The limits of acceptable anchor behavior in a double spey.

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Subtropicalspey
Answers: 0

The limits of acceptable anchor behavior in a double spey.

Post by Subtropicalspey »

In his book Single-Handed Spey Casting, Simon Gawesworth states on p. 79 in the chapter on the double spey: “The most perfect D-loop stroke has the right angle and speed to leave the fly on the water, but make it pirouette on the water and align even its tail feathers with the target. This is perfection, but don’t worry if you can’t get this right. You will still get an excellent result if you can get the line tip to pirouette.” My question is, What imperfections in anchor behavior are still within acceptable limits in a testing situation? If the line tip points toward the target is that good enough? Is the fly allowed to move under water a little towards shore (a slipping anchor as opposed to a blown anchor in which the fly leaves the water prematurely)?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The limits of acceptable anchor behavior in a double spey.

Post by Paul Arden »

This is a very good question, Eugene. I’m sure that it might be different between associations. It’s worth bearing in mind that with the Double Spey the fly can turn 90 degrees and then be dragged slightly towards the D-loop. This is what I would like to see. I wouldn’t like to see the fly turn 270 degrees (bloody O) or not at all - possibly leaving a bloody L in the leader.

I think it might be knit-picking. So long as consistency, positioning and alignment are all there I think you will be fine within all associations. As I say I would actually expect the fly to turn 90 degrees and then be dragged very slightly owards the D-loop. There will be some small variations because I don’t expect the fly to land in precisely the same place after the initial sweep :)

But if be interested to hear from Lee and Lasse on this. I’ll also find out if we don’t get a thorough reply :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Lee agrees and says to “strive for the perfection, it will make him very happy and he will pass any test m8” :D

He also doubts that it’s currently examined to this level. I would agree with that.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Subtropicalspey
Answers: 0

Post by Subtropicalspey »

Thanks for a great answer to my question. I went out practicing today and it all made good sense.

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”