PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Dangle and cure

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

johnnybg
Answers: 0

Re: Dangle and cure

Post by johnnybg »

Typically when the fly skips on the water it happens 1-2 meters in front of me at the delivery cast. I has to be mentioned that when it happens, I'm typically wading in waist deep water. However, the loop still unrolls. Don't know if that clarifies anything? :)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Johnny, it hits the surface in front of you, right?

If yes, then I suspect several things to look at, high backcast, rushed timing, early application of force, and early rotation.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Exactly Lasse - it hits the water surface in front of me.

I'll try to isolate the fault(s) using your suggestions. Thank you.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Johnny, can you post a video please?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

johnnybg wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:34 pm Exactly Lasse - it hits the water surface in front of me.

I'll try to isolate the fault(s) using your suggestions. Thank you.
I know Its a combination of those for me when it happens, never just one of them 😊 and I had it a few times on saturday 🙈

Good luck!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Thanks Lasse ;)

Paul, I wouldn't mind uploading the video but the quality is rather poor. Anyway it will take some time. The footage is on home laptop and I'm in Copenhagen right now and will not be back on the mainland (the other side of the country) where I live before next week...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Johnny, I need to see it because as Lasse points out there are several possible causes. In particular I’d be looking at the backcast first. Lasse writes it could be high, which is true, but it might also have sag when it straightens which is a different problem!

You wrote that this is a problem mostly when deep wading? This is always going to be hard. If you are going for distance then you need a backcast that is angled below the horizontal. Setting up such a cast will need an excellent tight fast low backcast. Possibly a “Belgian” Cast. The aim is that the line straightens perfectly with the fly just above the water’s surface.

If the angle is high, or if there is a U-shape in the line at the end of the backcast then the fly will skip through as you write. But it can also be other things so I won’t commit until I see some video :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

This video by Aitor was not meant to demonstrate a dangling end, but I think I can see it here pretty well.

In this case, is the dangling related to a high backcast? (Resulting in the end of line having a higher horizontal velocity. I guess.)

I am asking because in that video, the line would hit the caster on the backcast if the rod plane were vertical. I once tried to fix a similar problem by making the backcast higher, which only made it worse.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry I can’t see it on my phone and it’s not loading on my Mac! :D But yes breaking 180 is a common cause.

Here is some art...
6D9B09F2-12D8-4AE5-AA76-8DDC8D8A854E.jpeg
6D9B09F2-12D8-4AE5-AA76-8DDC8D8A854E.jpeg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Hi Paul.

The 170 case of your masterpiece art explains it best to me. In the case of a (late) high backcast, something similar happens: on a long carry, I first pull on the backcast, then launch a high backcast. Presto, dangling end that hits me.

Thanks!

Return to “Flycasting”