PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ICSF

Torsten
Answers: 0

Re: ICSF

Post by Torsten »

James,

good and valid questions, I'd assume this was all discussed before joining the ICSF?
Has someone made a decision matrix with advantages/disadvantages?
Having seen their accounts released for the AGM, this is an organisation with 27,000 Euro in cash in the bank - yet it wants to put the fees up in the face of falling participation. Anyone who's attended a finance 101 class knows that when supply exceeds demand prices fall - it seems that ICSF do not believe in simple economics.
OK, for an international organisation this is almost nothing, I'm sure other sports associations have much more money to work with. Also, AFAIK it's a non-profit organisation .. For me it's rather a question how the fee is used, if there is any benefit for fly casting etc. Their job would be to promote the sport at international level.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I personally hope that it works. I was really hoping that the events would happen at the same time for a good cross-over meeting. We have all seen the growth since its inception. We must be getting close to a 100 trout distance competitors plus we have I don’t know how many countries but increasing.

Anyone coming from the Equator or further afield already has a significant bill to pay. I don’t know what the cut off point will be from here in Malaysia. Obviously that is an individual concern.

Me I’ll always go if the numbers are there. And the talent of course. I have very good life-long friends in this competition. As far as I’m concerned it is our competition. If it becomes silly money then of course we will take control over it. However there is an excellent opportunity here to meet other competitors from the ICSF games which I personally want to do. I’m sure that we can learn a great deal from one another.

I’d love to go. I’d love for it to work. I’ll try to make it work my end. Hopefully Ashly and I can sleep in the car or in a tent. I can’t stand hotels or cabins. :pirate:

On a different note I’ll try to set up a Malaysian Championship next year. Possibly SE Asia. It would be great if we had some Australians come over. I’ll try to get the ball rolling on this one over the weekend.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

The growth area appears to be with the fly casting disciplines whereas (unfortunately) the Castingsport has been in decline for a number of years. This was highlighted in their report.
It would be intersting to see who represents 'fly casting' within the executive board or whether the existing board members are covering off both disciplines.
€27k is a significant sum to keep in the bank, though that figure is significantly less than what was reported just a few years ago.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

At the end of the day it’s about keeping the integrity of these games going. And that means growing participation. If just one person drops out because of rising costs, or because of some country’s affiliation bullshit, then the integrity has gone. It’s about seeing who is the best in the world at that time. This is why we go; to find out where we stand. We all know who is above us in the ladder and if they are not present then it doesn’t count - not for me anyway.

But these are all hypothetical discussions. We won’t know until probably June of next year whether this counts in our eyes. I hope it does, the potential is massive. I’m keen to participate in some other events too, even if it does mean a ten day competition!

I would say we give it a go, give it our best, and if we don’t like it then we do our own thing afterwards. it’s a huge organising commitment on the part of Sweden and we should give it our best attempt at attendance.

Personally I’d love to see the games move out of Europe in the next 4 years. You want growth then this is how to do it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I think the key question is,

- What do fly casters want the sport to achieve in next 5 years?

and,

- How are those objectives to be funded?

These fundamental questions need to answered, irrespective of how the sport evolves and who has guardianship of that evolution.

It is essential that any organising entity, existing or new, develop their objectives and budgets over at least 5 years and be truely international. That requires long term commitment by a few volunteers, a sustainable source of income and a fully funded world championship activity and accreditation process. Just like what happened in fly casting world championships held in Norway and the UK.

The alternative is to get hold of a field/waterway, get someone to send out a few invitations to a tournament and call it a World Championship. I can do that in Australia in bugger all time, but would you compete just because I said the winner will be world champion. The benefit of that is that if anyone does not come to my world championship, they can do the same in their backyard. I can then say my medal is bigger than his.

We are stronger together, fly and inland, now and tomorrow. Make it better and stronger from within.

Interested in your proposal Paul, I reckon Japan would be as well.

We all need to support Sweden in 2020, I will. If I can’t attend, I will in media and spirit.

John
James9118

Post by James9118 »

John Waters wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:24 pm a sustainable source of income and a fully funded world championship activity and accreditation process. Just like what happened in fly casting world championships held in Norway and the UK.
Did the ICSF supply funding to run the WCs in Cumbria?
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

No James, my understanding was that Lee sourced all funding for 2018, as did the Norwegian Casting Federation for the previous FCWC.

Your question raises another one in my mind, i.e. what funding should have been be provided by the ICSF for 2018, and now much should it provide for 2020?

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Don’t forget Estonia! Norway kept it running for two championships when it wasn’t under the ICSF umbrella. We dropped back under ICSF for the Estonia event. We’ve had three WCs in Norway, one in Estonia and one in UK.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Sorry Paul, I forgot about Estonia. That would have been organised by Allan Lahi and the Estonian Casting Federation.

John
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

James9118 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:36 pm How did the world championships change between the Norwegian federation running it and the ICSF?
James.
Hi James
It was voted on pretty much unanimously in Norway 2014 in a meeting with all casters present before the tournament started.

I received no funding from the ICSF for 2018 whatsoever.
Cheers
Lee

Return to “Casting Sport”