PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Overpowered Curve

Moderator: Paul Arden

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: Overpowered Curve

Post by Boisker »

Hey Paul
What do you mean by torque twist?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah I’ve found a video!
[media] [/media]
I’ve been meaning to high speed shoot the rod because after Merlin’s suggestion I think it’s a form of pull-back and I expect to see the S-shape in the rod. It’s what I use to place the fly down first, and it generates higher speed for me on Snakehead Shots. The important thing is to push your hand slightly outwards because you want the rod tip to travel straight and not curve in and so you have to compensate slightly for this.

In the case of a curve cast layout of course it’s not necessary to compensate by pushing outwards and we can use the inward curve to our advantage - indeed this is similar to how I teach the curve cast with a close to vertical rod plane.

However in the video I’m using it to throw a straight line cast, not a curve, that travels with extra speed. You can actually hear it crack as it hits the ground (the leader was short and I was intentionally using this as a teaching aid).

For straight line shots with the fly landing first I find it second to none - eg Gourami where this is important and for Snakehead Shots it’s really the icing on the cake.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally what I found interesting at the time and still do is how the hauling hand mirrors the rod hand.

If you are trying this at home :p then when I teach it the common errors are twisting through the stroke - I should feel like “laying it on a plate” right at the end of the stroke, and in the case of a straight line shot, failing to compensate for the twist of the hand at the rod tip, curving the tip path, which is the last thing you want for a straight cast - you must push out slightly. Basically we are trying to twist the rod around it’s own axis.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Subtropicalspey wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:49 pm No, but he was emphatic.
I think your mentor needs to re-read the exam. The only things you can't do in the current and 2020 exam are haul or slip line.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

In fact, now the exam does not even specify how you make the curve casts. Two to the right and two to the left, one each side with near horizontal and near vertical rod planes.

If you want to do all of them as over-powered or under-powered, you can. If you can make them all as mends and want to do that, you can.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Interesting Paul... I’ll have a play and see what is does :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll try to make a video about it, Matt. I’ve taught it a fair bit now over the last 3 years or so and I like the results. I originally learned it because I was flicking a huge cicada around on a long leader and light tackle and this is what I came up with - I think this may be a way of teaching it too.

I know that Al Burr is using something which may or may not be the same with the DHD. It would be interesting to know if what he is doing is similar. If it is then from what I’ve heard about it I don’t believe that we are “torquing” the rod; instead I’m pretty sure from the rod’s perspective that it’s a form of pull-back.

With this cast I can still make 20m+ shots putting the fly down first. This is so important for Gourami. But it also opens up greater distance for Snakehead shots. The change in speed is very apparent.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

_20191202_175018.JPG
;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Lasse, it’s the same thing alright only I disagree as to (probably) how it works. I’ll do what I’ve been meaning to do for a while and shoot some hi-speed vides. It appears to have some history behind it too. :cool:

Thanks,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I need to sit and read that slowly a couple of times Lasse, cheers

Return to “Overpowered Curve Cast”