PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Swedish Worlds 2020

sms
Answers: 0

Re: Swedish Worlds 2020

Post by sms »

A football pitch inside a track (like in Karlshamn) enable court at least 120m+ long from casting point and with this you can still adjust according to forecast wind direction. At max, take out the hammer throw cage, cast from the bend behind the steeplechase water pit and cast right in parallel direction of the long side of the pitch and you can should get a 150m+ court. Football pitch can be 120m long between the touchlines btw. And then you need a bit room for the goals so sometimes even a football pitch could suffice quite ok. But, Google earth is everybody's friend when checking the actual dimensions without needing to go on location.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

All 8 casting lanes ?
As a qualified football coach I am aware of the min/max size if football pitches.
It’s very similar to having a big tree or a 2 storey building directly behind you when casting a fly line.
The bid book is there for a reason, a complete set of guidelines relating to area size, length and type of grass, court layouts etc.
Having submitted 2WC bids that exceeded the requirements of the bid book that focused on the competitors requirements (1 actually had enough space to have all 9 events at the same time !!), unfortunately the cost was considered to be too much due to having to ‘import’ the court builders & infrastructure that had to be funded via the entry fees. The fees now exceed those from those bids.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Well that’s a shame. I do think though that such an event would be awesome if it was 5 days and not 10. Of course that means space and twice as many judges. The benefits of a combined meet would be lost if we don’t actually meet one another. The way it was organised is basically two back-to-back competitions. You could just imagine us not meeting at all. On the other hand, from an organisational POV if you are going to run both competitions then that’s the way to do it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

Dung Fly,

Ok, if you need 10 lanes, then the width need becomes an issue. Checked the requirements and min 200x200m flat area with short grass. That's not a spectator sport! Seeing a plug or fly line from 100m distance is not too easy.
With that requirement, it is quite difficult to find a place to combine casting and fly casting. Especially finding spey location and at least 200x200m flat grass area next to each other. And then you need the accommodation, access etc... Does not sound too likely to be honest.

I think we are casting too far in fly casting as we are already quite far from fishing equipment in many events and then casting is a whole another thing...
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Is the fly casting on grass or water?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

So far flycasting has had to be on water, so I'd guess it will be again.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

Castingsport is over grass so that measuring is done with a laser.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The ideal venue would be a shallow pond that the judges could walk around. Like a big paddling pool. I read somewhere that they were building a venue for the Swedish competition?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paddling pool big enough would be a slight 🤣 also quite expensieve in upkeep..
Just stick those casters in their waders and knee deep in a lake/sea some where and have them cast onto shore, judges can walk around without freezing their balls off in cold water for hours on end, and accurate measuring would be a breeze!

I believe the casting pool plan was more or less cancelled, would have been cool though!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

It might still be a goer Lasse,

John

Return to “Casting Sport”