PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod reviews

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Rod reviews

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Superstiff broomstick and light line and James have shown it falls apart, but that is also so far from practical fishing that it becomes a moot point. Bellcurve applies, and the top is pretty flat.

I might have cast it, not sure 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

There are actually advantages with a softer rod for this game. The stroke is longer, the tip travel is longer, you have more time. Line speed compared to hand speed is slower relative to faster rods.
It's this that you need to show, so do shots from 8-15 meters.

Looking forward to the early yule present 😊

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok so the best way then might be to do the correct amount of effort for one, with the other along for a ride and then repeat for the other rod. I think with the 4WT the line will hit the rod for most casts where the force is appropriately applied for the Rampage and the cast will fail. But I’ll certainly give it a go!! :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:52 am Ok so the best way then might be to do the correct amount of effort for one, with the other along for a ride and then repeat for the other rod. I think with the 4WT the line will hit the rod for most casts where the force is appropriately applied for the Rampage and the cast will fail. But I’ll certainly give it a go!! :D
Correct amount of effort for one 😂

So so so looking forward to the clips 🙈

Cheers
Lasse

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Going off topic a bit, but i'm an organ builder/tuner by trade and we make our own tools to our own liking, mainly because a lot of tools that would make our job easier don't exist :upside: I really like estwing hammers, the 20 Oz leather handle one is my all time favourite. Many times i've used someone else's hammer because mine has gone walkabout and i need to whack something in there and then. Doesn't mean i'm less accurate :upside:

Accuracy is to do with tracking mostly :cool:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok let me give you my theory, Nick!

A softer rod (unless you are Lasse) has a longer tip path for the same arc. A longer tip path means that you have a rifle instead of a handgun.

Also because a softer rod is usually through-action, when you initiate the stop you only have to stop the butt instead of a longer part of the lever, which in turn makes the stop easier on your hand muscles and elbow joint.

But mostly a fast rod requires a short abrupt stroke at close range. A slower or more bendy rod means a longer smoother stroke to align to your target. This is why I think close range accuracy favours slower rods.

I really must redo Lasse’s video because I think it’s misleading! (Or I’m mistaken of course and all rods are the same!)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

Only just seen this!

Thanks for your thought, Paul. Do you think that a softer rod allows you to relax more? I know for a fast rod you have to be on it, no messing around. Maybe the softer rod is equivalent to breathing in shooting, where you can relax and think about what you are going to do next :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm
I really must redo Lasse’s video because I think it’s misleading! (Or I’m mistaken of course and all rods are the same!)

Cheers, Paul
:wanker: :wanker:

Its actually funny, so far I have been accused of being able to manipulate one rod over the other, having photoshopped the clips, that the stiff rod just follows the soft, that the soft rod just follows the stiff etc. And now someone with a half baked theory thinks it's misleading 😉 it takes a grand total of 30 seconds to try it out yourself, everyone I have handed a setup have had a aha moment... And no, all rods aren't the same, that's just stupid! But there isn't a difference in timing, force application and a blue moon between fishing rods, and even going outside of that. It takes a extra super stiff/soft rod combo to change the outcome, but its a fun exploration getting there, pity majority would rather not go on the journey, then again, we have to defend spending big bucks on a bendy stick right 😉
How I love myths and the hold they have on people😂

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Very stiff fast rod, I have to be on my toes casting it, no messing around 😉

Cheers
Lasse

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Lasse

Let me first state that I think I can spot a good caster when I see one, and I think you are a *very* good caster!

However, I am not sure your experiment with simultaneously casting two rods proves what you think it does.

Actually, I think it speaks more to your ability to cast.

The two rods and lines, in your one hand, are actually a composite system, and you are good enough to match what the composite system requires.

What would convince me otherwise would be if you first cast the composite, but then cast each rod individually and show all three videos. Your goal would be to produce similar loops and line speeds with all three.

If the videos show that you use a similar stroke and speed for all three, then I will agree that they essentially require about the same input from the caster.

Does that make sense... or am I misunderstanding your premise?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Tackle”