PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod tip path

Moderator: Torsten

clayed21085
Answers: 0

Rod tip path

Post by clayed21085 »

I've read that the tip position at the beginning of the stroke needs to be inline to where the the tip is during the deepest load in the rod during the stroke. Seems basic but agreeable to everyone? This gives you a straight path and avoids tailing loops, gives you a good visualization on opening the rod ark.
Merlin

Re: Rod tip path

Post by Merlin »

Hi James

Here is a typical tip trajectory, corresponding to the record of one of Lasse's casts. Trajectories are domed but there is a part of it which can be relatively straight. In case the power application comes too soon or too strongly, then a downwards dip in the trajectory can happen and create a tail.
Lasse's cast record.JPG
If applied too soon and too strongly, a haul can create a tail by driving the tip down, but if applied correctly, it contributes to flattening the tip path.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

clayed21085 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:15 am I've read that the tip position at the beginning of the stroke needs to be inline to where the the tip is during the deepest load in the rod during the stroke. Seems basic but agreeable to everyone? This gives you a straight path and avoids tailing loops, gives you a good visualization on opening the rod ark.
Hi James,
In my point of view my desired tip path depends on what loop and trajectory I want to achieve for the cast. Let's assume a tight overall loop in a horizontal direction. Let's further assume I want to keep my rod and line in one plane only. Now my initial tip path easily may start slightly convex. That part in tip path making for main launch direction most probably would be closer to a straight almost horizontal line. Almost because line speed has an impact here, too. Line speed determines the fall down of my loop during unrolling. The last part of my acceler. tip path again would be convex. Based on studying videos for years I don't buy in that SLP concept. Especially not for an average yet proper fly casting.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think Lasse is using a lot of Drag at the beginning of the stroke to get that flat tip path early on. I think that’s why we use it (one reason anyway!).

I suspect that way of thinking, James, has come as a result of analysing the 5 Essentials matchstick man diagrams. The problem with that picture is that it assumes that the stroke is casting arc (rotation) only when in fact we can Drag the rod, as well as do all sorts of funky things with the hand path (there is a bit of Swoop in Lasse’s for example). It also assumes that the ideal tip path is a straight line and takes a snapshot picture of (I think) the Casting Stroke and not the Overall Stroke!

So it’s not that complicated but it’s also not as simple either :D

What I would say is that the more force you expect to apply and the more line you carry the wider your arc should be and so as a starting point it’s fair enough. But I certainly wouldn’t get attached to it!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”