PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Curve Casts

Post by Paul Arden »

An idea came up to make a list of the different ways/techniques of making a curve presentation layout. This list I’m sure is not exhaustive :laugh: and I’d be keen to hear other methods.

So I know:

Overpowered and underpowered curves both shoulders to cover both directions. Overpowered works because of horizontal loop, the fly kicks around and the returning wave from the fly end curves the line.

Underpowered works because the loop doesn’t straighten. Also uses a horizontal loop and if you collide the loop with the water it doesn’t need to be a soft cast (using trajectories).

Both can be done with a close to vertical plane, but the loop still needs to be horizontal. This is harder because loop plane and rod plane are different.

It’s also possible to bend the end of the line with spirals and snap mends. Indeed any wave in the rod leg that starts early enough can travel to the fly. However in the case of the Snap mend the loop has almost fully unrolled.

There is Ling’s Cunning curve cast that relies upon tracking giving the curve layout. The same that we make by mistake in distance casting :D

It’s possible to use tailing loop curves. The Italian TLT cast that I can’t pronounce or spell invokes a very clever horizontal tailing loop that flips the fly one way and then the other.

Finally I have a Snakehead Curve Cast to cast around babies. Here I do everything the same but by tilting the casting plane to 45 degrees the fly kicks around the babies. This is a great cast because it doesn’t involve pull backs, is fast and easily done first time.

So that’s a start!! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

PS they can all be done with the DHD :laugh:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

(I'm sure it will be incomprehensible) I have my own method of obtaining a curve to the right if you grip with the right, you perform with two methods, the first one, I incline the loop on the inside of the barrel, I carry out the launch forward, when half of the line is passed, with the tip of the barrel step below the line, drawing a u, I support the launch and then I lower the tip, the terminal will stretch to the right with the line, of course, the wider the movements to obtain, U wider will be the curve, to the point of ruining everything, the second system is more beautiful to look at and makes you feel good, it works the same as the first, the difference is in the left hand, while the barrel advances, before it reaches the head, pull the left, the loop will form inside the barrel, at which point, after the loop is formed, the tip of the barrel will continue to the stop passing under the line.
Bianchetti Ivan

Unfortunately I only have this movie.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok that’s similar to how I create the tailing loop TLT curve, but I do it by both breaking 180 degree rule in the horizontal loop plane and spiking the power early.

I would like to see what you are doing from a drone :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

It would also please me, I'm not completely sure, to do what I say 😁
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Actually if I understand this correctly you are using the haul to create the Svirgolato curve cast. That’s awesome. I’d never thought of that!

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

It would be great if once there is a comprehensive list that a set of instructional video’s was made... obviously by someone proficient at them... which except for under /over / inverted V rules me out.... I have to hold my hands up and say I can’t always follow a written explanation :whistle:
Bianchetti Ivan

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 pm Actually if I understand this correctly you are using the haul to create the Svirgolato curve cast. That’s awesome. I’d never thought of that!
Si esattamente questo.
Bianchetti Ivan

Circus from right to left, an old movie of mine, performed by turning the wrist and raising and lowering the barrel, 2 videos, the first shows how I do it.
(
(

Return to “Flycasting”