PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I refer to the one I had given before, I forgot to specify it in the translation, I apologize.
Bianchetti Ivan

Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm I refer to the one I had given before, I forgot to specify it in the translation, I apologize.
Sometimes giving too many details confuses, I hope it is useful for someone to simplify.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Ivan, I’ll try it tomorrow :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Ivan. To be honest I’m struggling with this one. I’m not quite sure where the backcast is supposed to be.

This is how I look at curve casts (not mends)...
Attachments
14731D8F-CFC0-43FD-90FA-9DF2EE72B78C.jpeg

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

In the above I think Creep doesn’t make the Svirgolato but instead the curve only hooks left. For me to make this cast I break 180 plus apply abrupt force too soon. (But I seem to need all the help I can get with this one :D )

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Hi Paul
I'm far from an authority on svirgolato but after a couple of goes in a couple of practice sessions I can say that for me the trick is to follow Malik's advice on timing - twist during the stop. This gave me a tailing loop, mostly horizontal, so headed down range and out to my left. When turnover gets to the leader it kicks around to my right. Cause of the tail? The usual suspect - power application spike. :)

Your drawings don't include the kick around to your left. HTH.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:03 am In the above I think Creep doesn’t make the Svirgolato but instead the curve only hooks left. For me to make this cast I break 180 plus apply abrupt force too soon. (But I seem to need all the help I can get with this one :D )

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

I agree. Breaking the 180 probably helps but is not, according to me, mandatory. Make a side cast and think horizontal tailing loop :

a tailing loop is a transverse wave in the fly leg of the loop, which generally intersects the rod leg in two places” (PA).

A standard-horizontal svirgolato is probably something very similar, except that you are creating a "transverse wave" in the fly leg from which the the tail does not intersect the rod leg but :
  • turns above it if you make a standard side-cast svirgolato — and propulse the leader to the left then to the right
  • turns under it if you make an undertip svirgolato — and pulls the leader to the left then to the right (prepare a good reserve of leader and tippet for this one :whistle: )
  • turns vertically to the right or to the left of it if you make this cast on a vertical plane — and pulls the leader down then up.
Timing is one of the main key element — mental image "flip the tip on the MPA" or "twist the tip/block the rod" and so on.
Direction of the force application on the MP/FA is another key : for an horizontal standard-svirgolato to the right think : "I push left and I block"

Hope it helps. But it'is of course easier to explain and demonstrate such a "crooked" cast :D with a rod in hand. Will be at the EWF München for a demo this year and give for free some italian casting style informal mini-clinics (sharing passion with other geeks more than teaching).

Take care and greets to the snake heads !

M.

PS : As the main guilty for this cast, I have the same usual suspect than Mark.
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul special's :
Try to make a crisp and short haul (20 cm) just before to stop the rod, just at the end of your stroke. It does not help to control the cast, but you will generate the twist of the tip.
M.
Bianchetti Ivan

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 am Thanks Ivan. To be honest I’m struggling with this one. I’m not quite sure where the backcast is supposed to be.

This is how I look at curve casts (not mends)...
To understand how to do it, 30 years ago maybe more, I did thousands of tests, the most efficient are these, while the rod advances, I make a small click with the wrist to the right together with the loop, a small wave is formed (the term wave is to simplify) to the right, I wait for the barrel to move forward and wait, I will see as a result that the loop will unwind on that wave slowing down, then I will do the same test advancing with the barrel I will make a small click to the left and do the same thing , but on the opposite side, here's if I put the same shots in one launch, the second shot will determine that the first unrolls the loop, which will be in the direction of the first wave, accentuating the curve, the shots must be proportionate to what you want to obtain. (in your drawing they do not correspond, perhaps because, the waves are obtained on the part below the line, the one attached to the rod)Maybe how you do it works better, I don't know😢😁😅
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Got it Ivan. OK those would be Curve Mends for me. And yes there are a whole bunch of those. Cast being a result of the Casting Stroke (fly leg of the loop) and Mend occurring after loop formation (RSP) (rod leg of the loop). There are presentation casts that involve both - Jasons Corkscrew Curve for example. You can also use Snake and Snap Mends to control the end of the line/leader.

Here you go Mark :D
opposite_curves.jpeg
A standard-horizontal svirgolato is probably something very similar, except that you are creating a "transverse wave" in the fly leg from which the the tail does not intersect the rod leg but :
turns above it if you make a standard side-cast svirgolato — and propulse the leader to the left then to the right
turns under it if you make an undertip svirgolato — and pulls the leader to the left then to the right (prepare a good reserve of leader and tippet for this one :whistle: )
turns vertically to the right or to the left of it if you make this cast on a vertical plane — and pulls the leader down then up.
Thanks Malik, great post! I've never succeeded under the tip. This is something I shall play with!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”