PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Improve the pick up

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: Improve the pick up

Post by nicholasfmoore »

I would be interested to see a video behind or in front of you, i do think you have a tracking error. No easy fix i'm afraid, i've found the best way is to cast with a rod butt and watch yourself in a mirror, you have got to force your body to make a change :) try 10 mins every day for a couple of weeks, you'd be surprised at how much this tightens everything up. Tracking is worth working on, it's only 10 minutes. Do it in front of the TV if you want and set up a mirror! You've got to stand up though :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I practiced indoors and used a laser pen so I could see the tracking..
BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 »

Thanks Nick.
I’ll work on that.
You are correct, the wind was brisk (30-40mph) into and off the left. I was, incorrectly, aiming high on the forward cast. I had heard of the 180 rule, but had failed to appreciate the significance. Big error.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Rob
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Rob (sorry for calling you bob before!)

Yes, these storms have been horrific, I'm in the midlands and have never seen anything quite like it, seems to hit every weekend like clockwork for the last few weeks!

Yes, it did look pretty bad! The windmills sort of give an indication as to how windy it would be 😱

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

In childhood I always felt let down that there was only one obvious way to use my name. Robert is Bob in his username and Rob in his signature :p I remember at school the teacher always asked them “how would you like to be called?” They never asked me. “My name is Paul, but you can call me Sid”.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you square up to the target, put an imaginary bell behind you, start from a slightly extended forward position, then the first very movement with the rod tip is to pull directly away from the target. Since this part of your stroke is straight, and because everything else is aligned, your backcast should go straight over the tip of your rod with straight tracking.

Throwing at targets is a really great way of optimising tracking. Where it becomes difficult again is open stance, particularly because the shoulder is often rotated past the square line. Fortunately usually when we use open stance it’s for distance and most of the time we can take our eyes off the front target and look at the back one before making the casting stroke. With two targets correctly aligned, managing to keep the rod travelling straight by getting the body out of its path, then everything should remain straight.

Both accuracy and distance casts really have to be built around straight tracking. Whatever else they may do, the best casters have the straightest tracking.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 »

Getting there.
Think I can still improve the trajectory and tighten the loop on the back cast.
Hopefully the legs look better on the forward cast and I’m concentrating on as little power as possible.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s really excellent Bob. If anything you pause a little too long on your backcast. Tremendous improvement!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 »

Thanks Paul.
Also a slight change in tackle. This is a Helios2 9,6’. It just feels slightly lighter and crisper. Not sure it’s what makes the difference, but I think it’s more comfortable, therefore I feel more relaxed when casting.
Still a SLX line.
Thanks for all the help.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve certainly cast the SlX. From what I remember it’s more single handed Spey orientated and on the heavy side.

Many years ago when I was involved with AAPGAI I noticed that the overhead portion of the exam was being compromised by the single line requirement (and a very tough Spey casting component to the test). Candidates were bringing Spey lines - or lines best suited to Spey casting - for the test. I pushed that they allow two lines of they were going to continue in this way. Which they then did. I don’t know what they do now.

And because the Spey component is examined so rigorously and the overhead much less so, this is actually the right combination to have. However to get the very best out of overhead casting I wouldn’t recommend a Spey orientated line. It is in fact quite restrictive and most certainly makes tails easier.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”