PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Improve the pick up

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

BobHarry76
Answers: 0

Re: Improve the pick up

Post by BobHarry76 »

Thanks Paul
This brings us to another area that I need to / want to know much more about. It may be better as a new thread?
What are the properties of a good overhead line Vs Spey line?
What should you looks for in a line to present dries as short to medium range Vs heavy nymphs Vs large Bass flies Vs heavy streamers? I understand a few of the basics, but it would be great to have some thoughts from guys who really know their onions!!

Is there a tackle section that deals with these sorts of threads? Or is there a thread from yesteryear that I can read through?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it’s certainly worth starting a new thread, Bob. I think we had a discussion about tapers last year. I’ll see if I can find it. But I never have any problems revisiting these topics. Every time we do we all learn something.

I’ll see if I can find the thread I was thinking of!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I can’t find anything specific but there is a insightful discussion here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2989

But let’s start a new topic! I might even draw some art :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 »

New thread started. 👍🏻
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Great!

Back to your backcast. If you were to make your casting arc smaller, ie just a squeeze stop with the hand, this will tighten your loops. And I would start the forward cast fractionally earlier.

Really it’s an excellent improvement - well done! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

You've been practicing hard on that! That's a fab improvement, congratulations! :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:05 am In childhood I always felt let down that there was only one obvious way to use my name. Robert is Bob in his username and Rob in his signature :p I remember at school the teacher always asked them “how would you like to be called?” They never asked me. “My name is Paul, but you can call me Sid”.
Hahaha! :laugh: Ah yes i noticed that after i posted it :laugh:
Nick M

Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Take a look at how far your backcast is falling out of the sky before you come forward. You can come forward much sooner than you think.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Bob,

Have you tried casting with the entire rod turned upside down (180 degrees) so that the bottom of the reel is against your forearm/side of the wrist? It's a great little trick, obviously don't fish like that :cool: but it's a good way to get the feel.

The reason you are not getting a tight loop on your back cast is the fact that your rod tip has not traveled in a (theoretical) straight line. Long story short, your arc \/ is still too wide for your back cast, so in essence, your tip has traveled in a dome, causing an open loop. :cool: The back cast upwards flick is WAY shorter than you think. Try to visualize a 6" upwards flick

I think it was Mel Krieger who mentioned the stop feels like your hand is jerking. Try it at home, imagine making a lift and back cast and jerk your hand upwards when your arm is nearly vertical. Imagine throwing a vertical frisbee straight up into the sky. Lift slowly until your rod is almost vertical and make a very short 6" fast upwards flick from there. Still having issues? Try making a 4" upwards flick. Shock the rod in an upwards direction.

Accelerate only when your hand is near the vertical. :)

Hope this helps?

All the best

Nick

P.S.

Also using everything that Paul has mentioned :)
Nick M

Return to “Flycasting”