PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching drift?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Teaching drift?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

What are your favourite analogies/drills for drift? One of my favourites is to;

"Imagine a 10kg weight has magically materialised on top of your fist/knuckles after the stop on the back cast. Push this up towards the sky"

Have you tried grabbing the blank after the stop on the back cast and pulling it gently back and up? Would be interested to hear your thoughts, this is carrying on from a recent chat with Paul :sorcerer:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
James9118

Re: Teaching drift?

Post by James9118 »

Firstly, ask them to do something with the rod tip after the stop has been made e.g. put an aerial mend in or wiggles. Give them a target to mend around (both sides) or a line to cut with as many wiggles as possible. After that, ask them to tap the rod tip on the floor after the stop but before the next stroke happens etc., do this on the forward and backcasts. Once they can do this they have control over the rod tip position throughout the cast.

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s good teaching, James, thank you; I’ll use that.

Drift is an interesting one. When I first started teaching I would almost always teach it without fail. But often I would get the result that instead of stopping and drifting, the arc just became bigger. Which is not what I wanted at all :D

And partly because it often made the cast worse, and partly because - I think - I’m far less inclined to drift nowadays myself, it’s something similar rarely teach in the first lesson unless I think it’s going to be an improvement.

Instead it’s something I teach now to longer term students and even then not always.

When I do teach it I teach to “try to feel the line straightening with the rod tip”. The hand must be lifted as well as rotated so that the tip tracks the rod leg of the loop.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks James - I like that method.

I teach it by asking my student to follow the loop with the rod tip. "Make the loop, then trace out the loop's path with the tip".

I use this technique mainly as a way to remove creep, making the student aware of the fact they they are prematurely moving the rod forward and that they can't do that if their rod is drifting.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Thank you all! Sorry just seen this!
Nick M

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think you need to teach Forward Drift to Carol.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Me, Paul? I nominate you mate :D Incidentally, I really like James' teaching of getting the student used to playing around with the rod tip, that's gold!

All the best
Nick M

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I agree!

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

Forward drift could be very useful to get a longer casting stroke for a more energized back cast. I'll give it a go. :p
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I was more thinking about forward drift as the backcast is unrolling! I use it in distance casting to reposition the rod to a better starting point for the beginning of the forward cast. It’s also called “Slide” - a form of drift...

I will try to cover this more later next month. Particularly Drift/ Sweep/ Casting Stroke.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”