PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Movies of Grant Casting.

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Movies of Grant Casting.

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Morsie wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 am You are right Lasse, 65ft with a 21 footer is what was mentioned in the book, I thought I'd read that he'd beaten it some years later. Have you cast a 21 foot rod like these, I'm guessing they were greenheart.
Only have had the pleasure of throwing a 21 foot carbon copy thing made by Sage for a british gentleman at a AAPGAI meet some years ago. Have a 18 footer I try to learn to use, someday I hope.
And I believe they where greenhart rods.

Would mostly like to try a copy of Grants line, it must be possible to do something similar today :)

You might enjoy this thread
https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/i ... topic=37.0

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Yes, I have cast fully dressed salmon flies - never a 4/0, though. And yes, I too think it's possible to cast one 47 yards with a modern outfit. What I meant was that I doubt that anyone would be able to do it today, using an outfit like the one Grant used. The 47 yard cast was in a fishing situation, and I don't know which rod length he used.

Lars
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Grants line was supposed to be superb in that regard, someone get one made and we can try, I would be super surprised if it was impossible for today's casters to do...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Brilliant link, Thanks Lasse.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

And Lars I did note that those stills were taken from a movie. That would be worth tracking down, but I'm sure others have tried.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

It most like doesn't exist anymore and if it does, it's probably overexposed by now...

I don't know if Grant ever write much and if the specifications for his line exists. That'll be worth tracking down!

Lars
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 pm
Morsie wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 am You are right Lasse, 65ft with a 21 footer is what was mentioned in the book, I thought I'd read that he'd beaten it some years later. Have you cast a 21 foot rod like these, I'm guessing they were greenheart.
Only have had the pleasure of throwing a 21 foot carbon copy thing made by Sage for a british gentleman at a AAPGAI meet some years ago. Have a 18 footer I try to learn to use, someday I hope.
And I believe they where greenhart rods.

Would mostly like to try a copy of Grants line, it must be possible to do something similar today :)

You might enjoy this thread
https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/i ... topic=37.0

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse
That was dear Ron Holloway bless him.

I remember he had wrote an article about the modern day anglers fascination of using short heads and how he disliked them. He was working on the river tweed during the later stages of his life and he preferred to fish long lines.

We got to cast his prototype from sage at a meeting on the tweed and that day it was 18ft long.
The line that he had sadly was nothing like grants, it was akin to a grandspey head profile with running line as opposed to a continuous taper.

This is a picture of us using it from that day

It was Rons goal to have someone emulate this feat of the past and despite many discussions and research on this topic, no one can seem to agree or prove exactly what his record switch cast was.. anchored/ un anchored, angle change or not etc?

I’m sure if someone did get the line made, a 21ft rod would not be too hard to cob together and we could all have some fun with it.
Cheers
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

I once had a go with a 17ft ( I think) Vibration and silk line owned by one of two old brothers that fished the Border Esk ( they lived in the cottage on the border). It cast beautifully but wouldnt want to do it all day. Lee might manage but I would flag after 10 minutes.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I had a great deal of time for Ron. I hope we are all like him someday. Bernd and I made an interview of him many years ago.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”