PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Bill de Brooklyn
Answers: 0

The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Post by Bill de Brooklyn »

Here is a link to my blog: The Great Lakes of NYC
I have fished most of the semi automatic fly reels on the market. They work. They are light. and have drags which the old automatic reels do not have.
I fish mostly for carp. They will take you into your backing but I have never been spooled completely!

https://thegreatlakesofnyc.blogspot.com ... reels.html
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting, Bill, and a nice read. Do you have a favourite?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bill de Brooklyn

Well the Vivarelli Goldstar is a fresh and salt water reel. I've caught stripe bass, large mouth and small bass; pike and big carp with that reel. I also like the semi automatic reels that are not copies of the Franco Vivarelli, such as the JMC ozone from france and the peux from the swiss. The reel reminds me of my submarine days because there is no sound made by the reels when the fish is running and taking line. The fish is "running silent". Do not overlook the Less expensive Maxcatch from asia. It lacks the bells and whistles of the more expensive semi automatics but can handle the runs of the average carp. I fished the Maxcatch for about a month for carp and anything else I could catch. once I was able to adjust the drag properly I had no trouble using the reel. Why Maxcatch calls their reel an "automatic" maybe a language translation problem. It is NOT an automatic fly reel. And it costs about $125.00. It would make a nice light reel for trout.

Bill
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bill,

A silent reel was quite an advantage on the reservoirs where I grew up if you didn’t want other anglers following you around when catching fish! When fighting fish do you play them off the reel or do you hand line and use the reel to gather the slack?

I didn’t know JMC were producing them. A good friend of mine use to work for JMC.

Many years ago I wrote to Vivarelli but didn’t get a reply. I think that’s why I assumed they were out of business - in fact someone even wrote that on the Board around then.

As I mentioned earlier I’ve only encountered them a few times.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bill de Brooklyn

I fish for carp. There are double digit carp in my area ; so I put all carp on the reel A S A P! It seems that Vivarelli is updating their website now. but all companies are in a tail spin now due to the virus. the most current info about any reel can be found on the site "fly reel mania".
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It must be a very different fight, Bill. I hardly ever play fish off the reel - the salt is different. I think that’s mainly because of the style of fishing I grew up doing, where you might have a full flyline off the reel and yet hook the fish (trout) at your feet.

I remember a fully automatic reel a French regular had when I was working as a kid on a reservoir. It had a spring that wound up as the line was pulled out and the lever would activate the spring in order to retrieve the line. I have no idea what make that was.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
steelehead

Post by steelehead »

I have never seen someone fish such a reel before, guess the market is rather small. However I do see some situations where it might be helpful, however that might be the time the automatic retrieve fails... A friend gave me an old "antique" DAM automatic reel that is a real joke - you might balance out a 18ft salmon rod with it and the retrieve keeps failing.
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

I came across the Swiss Peux 'Fulgor' fly reels a while back and mentioned them to a friend, who already owned a Vivarelli that was u/s for some reason. He splashed out and bought a Fulgor for his chalkstream fishing and absolutely loves it! I have used it on a couple of occasions when he's lent me his rod for a few casts and it seems to work really well. The quality of engineering seems excellent and you can order them with spools that have a conventional winding handle. Peux Fulgor reels are fiercely expensive, but I'd seriously consider getting one myself. It's just so convenient when stream fishing and you have to keep retrieving line onto the reel to get past obstacles.
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

By the way, Paul, I think the automatic reel that you recall from your youth was probably a Mitchell 710. I have one in front of me as I type this. Barry Welham used to use one, as I recall (well, he did work for the company).
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Most likely Tony! Here is the photo you sent me :)

If I remember correctly the spring would have to be wound for a long line. Seemed easy to operate however.
Attachments
462E6B8D-7908-4169-9AB2-0E5E9E7F0C39.jpeg

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”