PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Using Video while teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Using Video while teaching

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Carol wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:43 pm Thanks, Lasse.
BTW, we reviewed one of your blue-wall videos in our CCI meeting via Zoom a couple of weeks ago. Using Coach's Eye, we scrubbed through it frame by frame. Of course the casting is impressive, but the scrubbing was very informative. I think we all learned something. Thanks for sharing it with the world.
-Carol
You're welcome, glad it was of use :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Awesome advice, Paul! Incidentally, what happened to your tip section? :D

I can't find Bill's DVD anywhere, i've only looked at his stuff on you tube.

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that was one of the ones I drove over.

I’ll ask Bill if he still produces them.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Carol wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 pm Question: How do you set things up to get the best contrast where you can see the line? We don't have any big blue walls around here.
I have bumped into this visibility issue with videos. Orange line in sunlight against trees works fine, but I can not always achieve that.

Here is an example: this is me playing around with switch cast trajectory (fwd cast height). In the original video, I tried to zoom in and move around the frame to see what is happening to the line. But I could not see much of what is going on.

So I started to explore what could be done to improve visibility. Now this is from the trenches of the good ole command-line interface, sure y'all are using fancy sports video software on you iPads and whatnot. Anyway, I found a program called ffmpeg that can do a lot of different types of video and audio processing. The objective was to produce a video that highlights the interesting information. A bit like those fancy false color images that are used for similar purposes.

Now ffmpeg has a million switches, and at this point I only know a few, but some quick trials led to the command (ffplay is the version of ffmpeg that only shows the video but does not save it to a new file)

Code: Select all

ffplay switch.mp4 -vf amplify=factor=10,eq=saturation=3
Here two video filters are applied, the first one amplified temporal differences, and the second increases saturation. The end result is not pretty, but it shows what I wanted to see.

By playing around with the switches, you can emphasize the line more or less.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Jarmo that a great post. I’ll try this out when I have some time. I wonder if it will pick up the Lumi line?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

V1 Golf is an app for iOS or Android devices designed for golf instruction however it should work well for casting instruction. I’ve used it to monitor and analyze my own casting (as well as golf swing). They have streamlined many of the routine steps involved in filming, viewing, mark-up, comparing, organizing, sharing, etc. The base app is free with a premium option that makes it easier to manage multiple students on an ongoing basis.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Mark, I’ll download it tomorrow when I’m home briefly and have WiFi!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

Thank you, Jarmo!!

Pretty amazing difference. The ffplay feature is pretty keen. One of these days I may learn to use a complicated video editing tool, but it seems like it will take a bit of dedication and mental CPUs. I like good ole C:\>
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Carol wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 pm Question: How do you set things up to get the best contrast where you can see the line? We don't have any big blue walls around here.
Hi Carol,
Teaching wise I dont videolize the line, but the students movements. He then can watch the achievements for the line going after improving his movements, if he wants to.
Much easier to film the caster....
If I want the rod to be seen sometimes, I go on my knees and film against the sky. That always works fine.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m the same. In fact if it’s far enough away to see the line then it’s too far away to see subtleties of what the body is doing. It’s amazing the number of videos that are sent to me with trying to see the line. So I just want to see top half the body and lower half of the rod initially. Later on I want to see all the body. That’s the stuff we teach/change anyway.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”