PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Physics Q/As for the casual reader

Moderator: Torsten

bebob
Answers: 0

Re: Physics Q/As for the casual reader

Post by bebob »

I'm with Andrew on this one. Physics for the casual reader is a contradiction in terms. It only takes a quick scroll through the physics forum to realise that this is definitly not a subject for the casual reader. I would suggest that Greenomad's/ Mark's Einstein series is more than adequate for the casual reader.
Which begs the question, does S.L. attract or want "casual" readers? Presumably, yes, but at present S.L consists of the board and the board alone. A casual reader who comes across Sexyloops probably clicks first on the contents page, which is dated March 2015 and on exploring the contents will find that a lot of stuff is pretty dated. Paul's videos are not even mentioned in the content. The board is a fantastic resource but it takes a fair bit of perseverance to get really into it. There is probably still a lot of good stuff in the contents but a good cleanout/update could give the site a more modern look or alternatively, scrap the site and just continue with the board only?? which in its' present form would be a bit like my flytying stuff 30 odd years of accumulated good stuff but pretty difficult to find such and such a material I bought 20 years ago. Hope this will be received in the spirit in which it was intended, i.e. constructive criticism.
Cheers, Bebob
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The site gets a hell of a lot more traffic than the Board, Bebob, and is soon to get a damn sight more! The problem is accessing 22 years of information. But I have a plan for that! Will also be a method of updating that info as well. Removing content would be nuts however. That’s your search engine database right there. What might be sensible is to revisit some of it and that’s currently in scope.
It only takes a quick scroll through the physics forum to realise that this is definitly not a subject for the casual reader.
Possibly. I’m certainly not looking for degree level explanations; I know we have numerous such qualified physicists on the Board. More O level physics. So that hopefully we can get rid of some of these myths and misunderstandings that instructors such as myself perpetuate.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

This is an excellent question.
Hi Paul, regarding your request from yesterday, I have one.
Does the line follow the tip path after the stop? It is what I learned years ago, but in a recent lesson from my mentor Fernando Mosso, I learned that it follows the direction it had before the stop, being the perfect sample the roll cast, where the first part of the casting stroke , the drag, realigns the line which has been pointing upwards, to a horizontal direction.
Cheers,
Sebastian

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

bebob wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 am I would suggest that Greenomad's/ Mark's Einstein series is more than adequate for the casual reader.
Just found this https://thecuriousflycaster.com/physics ... y-casting/

I will have a read later. Thank you @Geenomad and @bebob
Carol

Post by Carol »

For what it's worth, I love the idea. It'd be a central database that summarizes years of accumulated knowledge and experience. At the end of each summary, perhaps there could be links to the more in-depth, equation-oriented physics debates for those willing to enter that zone.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Me too. It makes it bite sized, highly accessible, and allows for contrasting views when they occur. Furthermore when you lay all the pieces of the puzzle out I think it will be very beneficial to everyone involved.

I really need to catch a fish today and then I’ll try to get this organised.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”