PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly line life

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Fly line life

Post by Paul Arden »

That autoglym datasheet says it’s flammable! I have tried car bumper/wheel products in the past and the line has lost its slickness after a few applications - I assume it’s battling and winning against the manufacturers lubricants. Even some of the silicone products that have essentially been for treadmill or similar applications have dried out the line. The gel stuff is fine but it’s not super slick. For it to have a low viscosity the silicone oil needs a mixer. This I think is the problem.

I’ve trialled lots of silicone based oils from a manufacturer in China over the past few years. But I haven’t managed to replicate Shoot. Which is a bit of a problem because I don’t have much left - hence why it’s not available in the shop :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk
Answers: 0

Post by andrewparkeruk »

I will try the silicone on a well-abused fishing line: a Rio Gold #5 instructor (orange) which I dyed chocolate brown a few years ago. As most of my casting is under forty feet, slickness isn't a huge issue. (Edit: maybe I will find it is :yeahhh:)

Paul I did wonder why the shop was out of Shoot :D

Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The margins on it are terrible, it’s a total pain in the arse, when it’s all done and dusted it doesn’t even buy me a beer! It’s not even worth the walk to the post office. :D So the only way to make it work is to wholesale and sell in volume to friends/clubs and to shops. Now even this is a total PITA as well but I can see some sort of spin-off - a counter display of Sexyloops Lube? Why not. And if can be a sex aid as Graeme suggests then everyone is happy. Hell maybe we can sell it to sex shops.

The reality is that it makes a huge difference to casting and particularly taking shots. Not having it is now not an option for Snakehead! It would feel like having one hand tied behind my back.

The reason we stopped selling it is because Trevor managed to misplace labels (either that or we sold a lot of bottles with two labels!) and so we had a lot of unlabelled bottles, which has been a Godsend to me as it turns out. :)

The original suppliers changed hands and the new guys obviously don’t have their heart in it, or a business head, or whatever it takes to answer emails. I’ve been sampling Chinese products for two and a half years - which has been fascinating and at one point I had a lifetime supply of fly floatant until my boat flipped in a tropical storm. But what I have found, is that some products dry the lines out - which is the exact opposite of the intention!

What I like about the stuff I use is I just squirt a few drops on the line while it’s still spooled and the rod rings do the rest - quick and easy for lazy/busy people! However it seems to impregnate itself into the rod as well and is an absolute bugger to clean. This becomes a problem if you have to do any re-ringing work to the rod as Lee has found on multiple occasions!

So the whole thing is a minor headache :D and if it costs me a grand to buy a bloody barrel of the stuff then so be it. It’s actually worth it for me. However if I get it wrong and it dries out the line, then that’s not good either :D What I would like to do is get the product I want, and then sell it in half and one litre bottles with refillable micro bottles for taking it fishing. A nice Sexyloops bottle on a zinger might work. It will happen, it just might take ten years!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”