PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Using Video while teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Carol
Answers: 0

Re: Using Video while teaching

Post by Carol »

Thank you, Bernd and Paul. That is super helpful. Although fixing the body movement fixes the rod movement fixes the loop, it helps those of us with less teaching experience to see the loop first. I suppose as you get a lot of teaching experience, you can pretty much tell what the loop looks simply by analyzing the body movements.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve probably got a rough idea but actually for me it’s totally unimportant. That’s an easy adjustment. I’m more more interested in what the body is doing - stance, straightness, action, and depending on what the cast is Accuracy/Distance the haul, weight shift and so on. I really don’t care what the loops look like and I’m not going to give a running critique on every one! :D

It’s actually not that difficult Carol. Maybe what we should do is post some videos of casters and say what we would change, why and how. I think we will need the permission of whoever is on the video. That’s important.

There will of course different ways of going about it but I would be surprised if we are not all looking at the same thing. I often shoot video of the student, I ask them to shoot video of me and then it’s clear what I’m trying to explain to them.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
carlz

Post by carlz »

I am using video more and more, but as needed to overcome problems. For one student, showing his wide arc and wide loops really kicked in what I had been saying.
For the other student that was only hauling on the forward cast (and leaving his arm extended) he quickly recognized the problem and it really helped him appreciate the need for getting the hand back up to the rod.

All of this is done on my cell phone.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 am I often shoot video of the student, I ask them to shoot video of me and then it’s clear what I’m trying to explain to them.
Do you then compare the body movements side-by-side in Coach's Eye or Huddle? Cuz that's a good idea: Here's how you're moving. He're is what the movement should look like.

-Carol
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes sometimes or back to back in slow motion. I don’t want to break the lesson up with technical delays to try to establish points that I can do quicker otherwise. Hence that’s why I started the topic, with the idea of establishing some root videos/drills that I can quickly use for comparison side by side. If I can just take a video and compare it to something I’ve already done and it’s there and ready I’ve just saved a bunch of time and kept the lesson flow. I can even build a lesson plan around that.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Here is a curious question I have about body movement... is it less important than you might think? (Unless you are talking distance comp, of course)

Being that I commonly fly cast while standing in a canoe I have learned to cast with minimal weight shift and definitely no steps. Kayakers who sit while casting have even less ability to use their lower body. I often teach paddlers who want to fly cast while we sit in chairs.

A while back when I was watching Mac Brown give a splendid casting demo I noticed he commonly cast while standing only on one leg! It appeared to be an unconscious trait. I figured it was an artifact of commonly standing in a stream while casting where I assume weight transfer and stepping are not a good idea?

So... is body movement necessary? Or are y'all using the term for overall movement of hands, arms, shoulders...etc?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it’s the whole thing, Gary. Ie it could mean casting with just the fingers. Actual weight shift under many fishing conditions is best minimised. Certainly rocking the boat is generally not a good idea :D.

So by body movement another description could be “form”.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

Paul I expect you are aware of this but have sent a link https://www.kinovea.org/ have used with a tablet and found it reasonably useful. Still only a moving 2d image so usual probs with camera angle deceit
TK
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Tony. I’m in town tomorrow and will have a look and download. Simplicity and speed is the key. Also ease of categorised storage and access. That’s three to play with now. Thanks!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:47 am
So... is body movement necessary? Or are y'all using the term for overall movement of hands, arms, shoulders...etc?
All of the above, but equally important is when you use part of the body to block the movement of another part.

John

Return to “Teaching”