PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cradle grip?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Cradle grip?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi All,

I was wondering if this is the 'proper' name for this grip? I call it forearm bracing, where you lever the rod over with the forearm whilst keeping the rod butt tucked under it. I only use it for distance casting.

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Cradle grip?

Post by Paul Arden »

“Cradle Grip” refers to the finger grip on the forward cast, not the backcast with the butt under the forearm. Dan McCrimmon coined the phrase, was the first to do so and so consequently I’ve run with it. Basically it’s rod “cradled” between thumb and forefinger, with turnover initiated by closing the third finger from an open palm. A la Rick Hartman, 170 and so on.

It’s something you should learn by the way :D

It’s not the only way of turning the rod over for distance - however with this one done correctly there is no bounce/collision at a stop with the forearm, because the rod butt passes clean inside. Ie “Stopless”.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know of a name for the distance casting backcast style (/reverse delivery style) with the rod butt tucked in against the forearm. I’m not sure if it needs one; this is not DH Spey casting.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

“Cradle Grip” refers to the finger grip on the forward cast, not the backcast with the butt under the forearm.
Could you show me a photo please? I can't get my head around that :laugh:

Is it what you talk about in your comp distance video? If so, i understand what you refer to if you say cradle grip now :cool:

Sorry, should have specified the back cast
It’s something you should learn by the way :D

I'll give it a go :sorcerer:
(/reverse delivery style) with the rod butt tucked in against the forearm.
That's what i meant, cheers Paul!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it’s in the Comp distance video. Might be elsewhere on SL but I can’t think where at the moment! Good for distance Switch too. Definitely gives me my longest distance.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Need more than just the third finger to rotate, but its a nice way of staying loose till the end.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I call it, locked heel, I use it little and often I forget, even if in the distance it gives good sensations, more for the height than for the speed, perhaps because I have the impression of shortening the rod too much by doing it.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I keep debating the advantage of tucking the rod butt on the backcast.

While I can definitely add more power, and therefore more line speed, which results in more distance on the presentation, if I look back the loop looks huge. No matter what I try I cannot seem to produce a tight loop in the bc when tucking.

I have been told my bc morphs to a tight loop it sure doesn't look that way to me from my perspective.

Alternately, if I don't tuck, I have good control of bc loops.

I have tried both ways for casting heavy tackle (like 12 wts) to lessen fatigue. While tucking is easier physically I keep going back to my wrist for efficiency.

I will probably resort to tucking only for comp distance... which means almost never.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

It depends on what arc you employ and therefore where the block occurs for backcast depth or tightness, and that depends on the length of line your are casting backwards. Ninety feet of a 5 weight MED will require a different arc and block position to 55 feet long shooting head.
Backcast loop depth is often deceptive when viewed by the caster, they look wider than they are when viewed from the side.

John
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Thanks John,

Blocking earlier helped a lot. I was pretty much stopless (blockless?)

While it feels strange, blocking with the shoulder allowed me to tighten up the bc loops significantly. Very helpful with the 12wt!

Distance is important, but so is being able to cast all day... and big tackle wears me out.. Tuck and block might be the energy conserving way to go.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Flycasting”