PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loose grip no squeeze stop?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

easterncaster
Answers: 0

Re: Loose grip no squeeze stop?

Post by easterncaster »

Carol wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 am
Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:57 pm There is the tightened grip locking the forearm muscles, what I expect John might consider a block.

Then there are the multitude of micro wrists that accelerate the rod, but do not necessarily mean the grip tightens.

Mac turned me on to a subtler form he considers "pulling", where the fingers furthest from the thumb close and lever the rod butt around a fulcrum at the base of the index finger.

All of these techniques seem beneficial (to me), but they are all distinct in my mind.
Thank you for this, because it better clarifies what it is that I'm doing when locking the forearm muscles. Whenever I try to use the Joan Wulff sponge squeeze, I tend to shock the rod. So I gave up on that and simply started locking the forearm. I never thought of it as a block, but that's exactly what it is!

I learned the same pulling technique from Mac (and Jonathan Walters) wherein the pinky and ring finger pull back into the palm. Combined with the lower hand grip that Mac uses, I use this stop a lot, especially after the stroke in roll casting for the delayed rotation, adjusting the amount of pressure applied for a given distance.

Thank you!
Hi Carol,

Maybe I misunderstand your thoughts on Joan's 'Squeeze Stop'... ;)

The squeeze is not a simple gripping motion, it involves a thumb push and pulling up into heel of hand of the pinky and ring fingers. The pulling up of the back digits is often over looked. The Squeeze Stop begins with the thumb push and works its way down to the pinky, similar to a piano player finger roll.

Craig
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hi, Craig. You are correct in Joan's squeeze stop. It's just that when I think about engaging the thumb and all of the fingers, things go awry more easily than when I think of just using the ring and pinky fingers. It's thinking less about the thumb and finger roll (like milking a cow) and more about concentrating on only the ring and pinky movement/pressure. That instinctively engages the thumb in opposing pressure as the rod rotates. That's just how it works better for me. More highly skilled casters probably can do it either way and, as stated in the above posts, other ways as well.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Something else you can try there, is instead of closing the fingers to bring the cork into the heel of the hand, is to turn your hand in such a way that the rod butt clears the inside of the forearm with no contact. This is what I consider “stopless” on the forward cast. I’d be interested to hear what changes you see in the rod leg of the loop (if any).

Another small change worth playing with, is instead of using the pinkie, is to use the third finger. This allows for a more open grip and wider arc. This is the “cradle grip”.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Hi Carol,

Ahh...cool, understood.

While teaching at The Wulff School I use (of course) Joan's grip, but it is not how I hold/grip a rod when out and about on my own: I use the Key Grip or some bastardization of... ;)

Craig
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Apples and oranges!

Man, I really feel sorry for folks trying to learn from threads like this!

I am not sure what Carrol's goal is, but it would be most helpful to openly declared what type of casting is being considered.

The cradle grip is excellent for a final acceleration for comp distance casts.

Mac's buried pinky grip and finger closing is an eye opener with 10'+ rods and Euro nymph long leaders.

But neither is appropriate for the other type of cast... in my opinion.

One size does not fit all.

Don't bring either of those grips out in the boat tarpon fishing...again, my opinion.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'm fucked then 🤣

I'm using just about everything from comp in my fishing, and would probably bring the cradle grip on a boat for tarpon fishing, I did for striper fishing :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m happy to use the Cradle Grip with 10 and 12WTs Gary. I generally don’t but I certainly could and do sometimes. It makes me think that we might be talking about something else. Why do you recommend not?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Can someone put a few pics up showing these different grip styles please?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
tinpusher

Post by tinpusher »

Graeme H wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:42 pm Can someone put a few pics up showing these different grip styles please?

Cheers,
Graeme
Yes please
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Y'all don't have to take trust my opinion (actually please don't)... just go out and try it for yourself.

Get out your full size tarpon reel, put it on a 12 wt rod, and carry a full head of a 12 wt line for a day of fishing.

I personally use a loose grip on most casts, but I find more stability is necessary with heavy tackle.

Maybe I'm just a wimp? Although I'm not small at 6' 2".
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Flycasting”