PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Change leverage

Moderator: Torsten

Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Change leverage

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

The question might be silly, increasing the weight of the rod heel and decreasing the weight of the tip, moving the grip point, would the lever change class? has anyone tried?
Carol

Re: Change leverage

Post by Carol »

I'm not a physicist, but it depends upon where the fulcrum is. As long as the fulcrum is on the end and the force is near it, it probably remains a class 3 lever. https://images.app.goo.gl/4VFhJRx74eSL9swq8
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Bianchetti Ivan

Carol wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:42 pm I'm not a physicist, but it depends upon where the fulcrum is. As long as the fulcrum is on the end and the force is near it, it probably remains a class 3 lever. https://images.app.goo.gl/4VFhJRx74eSL9swq8
Thanks Carol
I also think it's as you say, it's probably just balance adding weight, probably also counterproductive, I was looking for confirmation🙂.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ivan,

I don’t know about changing the lever class but 1KG gives some surprising stability and is not unpleasant to cast at all. Definitely wants to make me cast more flip-fop than 170. I will try it some more because I find it very interesting. It feels stable and from what I can see in the moonlight it damps rather well.
DD0736D4-A9FE-422B-BBC7-8BBDC36168A2.jpeg
2KG Was still acceptable. However 3.75 wasn’t very good at roll casting and 5.5 might suit Lee but for me it’s definitely not an attribute I look for in a any flyrod!
5DF5027C-EFF2-4BAC-88C6-5CAE19D77E89.jpeg
Interesting experiment. Thanks Ivan! I think there is mileage in this idea. Not necessarily for distance – maybe – however as a method of teaching certain things I can definitely see immediate uses here. You’ll have to give me some time on this. I need to try it on a few unsuspecting people!

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Hi Paul
great that you are taking your time.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

To be honest it wasn’t what I expected :D

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

I've tried casting a rod without a reel, and it doesn't let it damp very well, so your experiment is interesting :cool: maybe casting Chinese style damps the rod differently with the mass more out to the side?

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s an incredible way of reducing casting arc. I think for teaching a beginner the basics of casting arc and narrow loops there is potentially great value in this setup. The only draw back I can see, is that if you drop the rod by mistake you either smash the butt or it sinks to the bottom of the lake :D But I would thoroughly recommend giving the 1KG mass a go. I will certainly try this on some students.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:29 am It’s an incredible way of reducing casting arc. I think for teaching a beginner the basics of casting arc and narrow loops there is potentially great value in this setup. The only draw back I can see, is that if you drop the rod by mistake you either smash the butt or it sinks to the bottom of the lake :D But I would thoroughly recommend giving the 1KG mass a go. I will certainly try this on some students.

Cheers, Paul
Thanks Paul, your opinion is very interesting, a greeting.
Ivan
Bianchetti Ivan

nicholasfmoore wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:39 pm I've tried casting a rod without a reel, and it doesn't let it damp very well, so your experiment is interesting :cool: maybe casting Chinese style damps the rod differently with the mass more out to the side?

All the best

Nick
Thanks for trying.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”