PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Saltwater Fly Reels

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

johnnybg
Answers: 0

Re: Saltwater Fly Reels

Post by johnnybg »

I believe the manufacturer was aware of the sealing issue and corrosion problem since there was a separate saltwater paragraph in the user manual back in early 2015.

And Sakke you're right again. An o-ring as a shaft seal or gland seal is definitely a poor choice.
Attachments
2020-11-21 16.14.27-Clipboard.png
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Way back when I was the technical director for a couple of analytical laboratories there was always a board for important information that often changed periodically. But a mainstay on those boards was always a bullet point that simply read, "RTFM!"

There are few things that are as precise and temperamental as lab instruments, but if you paid attention they could also be impressively productive and profitable.

RTFM?

"Read The Fucking Manual!"
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

What I would like is a reel with a lever drag. Disc brakes would work fine! A bit like a bike. Something highly adjustable. And it should be at the front, not at the back.

Let’s say you are walking the flats and you need a bit more line. You have already set the damned drag! Now to unset it in order to strip line to make the shot. Or you are playing a fish: fish is at the surface up close, you don’t want 5KG of drag setting!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:38 pm What I would like is a reel with a lever drag. Disc brakes would work fine! A bit like a bike. Something highly adjustable. And it should be at the front, not at the back.
Something the Danielsson Control reel, Paul?

https://youtu.be/rE-MSerW1OM?t=47
sms

Post by sms »

Paul, that is exactly why I love the drag adjustment on Mako. With a quick move (or two if I’m going from max to min or vice versa) I can readjust the drag. I always have my drag on the minimum setting when casting. It is so fast to set it to max that there is no problem with that. Usually I wait so that the fish is on the reel and then put the ”brakes on”. That way I have some possibility ease the line if it finds a bad spot to go round before everything is cleared and line coming from the reel to the stripping guide.

There have been some reels with lever drags (Fladen, Steelfin, Saracione had at least prototype and I think Scierra had one also), latest is Seigler I think. Lever drags are very unpleasant to my eyes thou.

In Danielsson Control you are essentially winding from the frame side. If line is going out, you basically tighten the drag from the handle. In Varioverse you had a bit similar option although the handle was on the normal side of the reel (and the mechanism became overloaded with the drag setting I use for tuna).
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Will reserve further comments on this subject .......until the Mako Reel arrives....{ and I've had an opportunity to try it ooot }
Many thanks to all who have contributed ............
Confession .. excepting for my Danielson Original ( Nymph used on my 7 ' 6 " X 3 wt )
am exclusively ......WW Lamson
Tom
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Of interest to Saltwater Reel Users.......
In his very interesting book , Salt Walter Fly fishing Fundamentals ... Peter Morse , of this parish ;
Recommends the use of an anticorrosive { a very useful concept for the saltwater community }... Duralac.

Tom
ps , I have no connection wiff this company : whoever , I have a signed copy of the above journal .
carlz

Post by carlz »

I'm curious on people's opinions on the old cork, draw-bar style (Abel big game) reels. They are not maintenance free and the spools on the old BG models are not large arbor, but they are simple and easy to clean and work on. I presume Large Arbor is a must, but is the sealed drag that important? I am always cautions about new fly reels. The companies change the models so often that unless you are fishing 100 days a year, you won't see any problems in the reels before they come out with a new, improved model.
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Anyone use anti-reverse reels when SW fishing....Tibor and Valentine reels?
Lou
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I've got a valentine that was almost given to me (close out sale). The drag is too sticky for serious fishing with (what they wrongly call "start up inertia".)

I haven't tried the Tibor but I don't find AR to be a big requirement. The weight penalty is not worth the investment, since an appropriate drag setting will prevent the handle smashing fingers.

I agree 100% about the quality of the Mako reels. I've got two of them and they are the reels I will never part with.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Saltwater”