PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

PUALD Challenge

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: PUALD Challenge

Post by James9118 »

Thanks again Andy, I'll pass all this on to Tracy. One thing I see is that she feeds-back her hauling hand above her head and her rod hand comes up to meet it. In doing so, she straightens her back - essentially initiating some 'body creep' as you've picked up on. With her hands being so high there's only one place to go - down. This gives a weak chopping stroke rather than a strong stab upwards. The haul is all from the shoulder and quite slow (she may have learnt that one from me :blush: ). If she fixed all that she could be quite good :D .
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

42m PUALD.... that ain’t never right :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Matt, the current furthest is Bernt Johansson with 45,1 😱
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I struggle to get my head around it.... hugely impressive...
This may be upthread, but there’s a lot of posts to work through... So...
.... deleted the initial questions as actually read James challenge :D

So.... MED line... 120’ ?
Any idea how much line people are picking up?
I guess shoot into the back cast... to the end of the line or close to the end?
And then the forward cast shoots out into the backing up to the ludicrous distance of 45m :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I think most pick up around 24-25 meters and shoot a bit into the backcast to reach their optimal carry around 26-28 meters, and then shoot the rest in the delivery....

Shooting to the end of a wf line,into the backcast, won't work 😉

Cheers
Lasse

Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Lasse... I did wonder about that, but when people are casting over 40m with a PUALD it seemed anything could be possible :D
This thread reminded me to at least get out and practice my PUALD.... i’ve been in fishing mode recently so not been on the field much.
Just been out with a 6w..
I can pick up 70’ (my brain works in feet.. about 21m) but then only just getting out past the backing on delivery... if I started to shoot a bit more into the backcast I only need to find another 17m on the final shoot :D :D :D

That’s a huge amount of line speed being generated to shoot that far...

I should say... I’m not trying to develop anything like that, but it’s a great way to develop my backcast... to be honest I was slightly surprised I could pick up and lay down the whole line :whistle:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I think everyone has got some surprice moments out of this challenge, I sure has 😊

Are you using the MED?

Cheers
Lasse

Boisker

Post by Boisker »

No, I couldn’t find it last night
I was using a Ballistic Pro Performance.... 160 grains, 58’ head and 95’ long... a line Vince suggested when I started to practice towards my instructors (before lockdown intervened), I had started down the AAPGAI and people had suggested the Rio single handed spey, but I didn’t enjoy using it for the overhead elements... although to be fair it flies out in the spey :D

The ballistic is a nice line, although I am no profile expert... have you used it? You may think it makes it easier than med?

https://ballisticflylines.com/product/b ... esh-water/

When I have played with the ballistic again for a bit I’ll track down my med...
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

From the taper diagram I reckon the total head is heavier than the MED... although it’s ages since I cast the 6w med so I haven’t anything to reference against... I’ll know how much easier it is when I find it and cast it :D

I was more pleased with the control in loop shape on my backcast than the actual distance, I’ve only cast for fishing the last few months, so have only rarely cast over 40’
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Well, the ballistic pro wont make 45 meter easier even if it a 6 weight 😊
And if youre picking up 70 feet ish, you wont have to shoot much before you're well into overhang and its enough, the MED has a 10 feet longer head, and needs more.

Still, if youre picking up 70 ish, shooting a bit in the BC, and only going to 95 ish, there room for improvement, and thats a great thing 🙂
As you can see in this thread, my predictions are shite, but I recon you should be able to get 110-115ish with the ballistic pro in good conditions.

And yeah, the rio SHS... great brick om a string line, it flies very well, but can easily feel a bit clunky on the overheads, try and really take the power out and drift alot 😊

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Casting Sport”