PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

PUALD Challenge

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: PUALD Challenge

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Lasse...
I’d just finished marking up where the head finished so it was easy to spot through the rod rings... I had in mind I would aim for 100’ as I know that extra 10’ will be slow to find.... so I’ll keep in mind that’s still 10-15’ shy :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

As I said, I'm shite with predictions, and have, what, 25 feet ish still to go to get to where Bernt is.. 😊

I'm sure you'll find those 10 feet suddenly comes!
Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Boisker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:04 pm From the taper diagram I reckon the total head is heavier than the MED
The Ballistic is fractionally heavier than the MED at the 60ft mark (identical at 30ft), however if you compare total head weights then the MED is heavier on account of it being ~10ft longer.

If there wasn't a line rule for this competition (i.e. just the AFFTA specified, no SH allowed etc.) then I'd of used the Ballistic line.

Cheers, James
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Not to mention the ballistic I am using is a 6w :D
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Ahh, sorry I thought you were comparing like for like AFFTA numbers.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I was, but out of interest rather than direct comparison to the competition... I already knew I would be way out of my capability on PUALD distance for the comp without even picking up the rod... but still interesting to know the difference between the lines.

I thought I had a 6 and 5 w med, but can only find the 5 W... I’ll spool it up at some point.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Boisker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 pm I already knew I would be way out of my capability on PUALD distance for the comp without even picking up the rod.
That's one of the biggest issues I see with fly casting as a sport, there's a tendency to look at the leader board and say 'I can't beat that so I won't bother'. I'm not sure how to change that. If I was offered the chance to race against Usain Bolt at his prime over 100m I'd jump at it. The PULD comp is being led by the current world champion, where else can you say you've competed against the champion?
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I didn’t really mean it to sound negative James... more realistic... I like the PUALD comp as a challenge.... if I can get over 100’ I’ll be happy :D
I went back out again earlier after Lasse’s posts and marking up the point of the running line so it was easy to spot....
funny this morning I was casting reaching just into the backing with a fairly straight laid out line on the grass probably 70% of the time... but crucially I wasn’t really trying to cast further,....
I’ve practiced PUALD to 70’ as part of trying to improve my stroke before, just not trying to shoot a shit load of line at the end of the cast....
when I went back out I was trying to get a bit further... which led to a familiar problem, 20% more power and with the obvious result of perhaps only 20% getting into the backing :whistle:
Even though I knew what the problem was I still kept bloody doing it :D
Obviously I know the secret to getting more distance, developing a better PUALD, particularly generating more speed into the backcast... So I do like the challenge posed, as it will improve my basic skills... I just started the process expecting to be bottom of the class :D :D :D
James9118

Post by James9118 »

If there's one thing I've learnt from casting comps over the years is that your fellow competitors want to see you do well. Jump in, post a video etc. and you'll get feedback on how to improve. That said we're still waiting for Paul to enter - I'm sure Lasse would give him some tips :D :D :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ha! Sorry been away all week. It will happen this week :D If I pass 100’ I’ll be happy. There you go Boisker, you can beat me!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”