PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Phil, you probably said it before, but what line are you using?

And there's a funny, actually two funny stories behind the rubber chicken incident, but those are mostly for around a campfire with a beer ;-)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Rio Direct Core Flats Pro WF-9F...I like beer :) :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok threw me on post 211 when you said Shooting Head. Although it is actually a 10WT line you are casting :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Paul

That makes more sense that the line is actually a 10 wt line, I thought it was awfully heavy. I went out to a field with a slight up slope behind me yesterday to try the side cast back cast with a weighted fly and it seemed to work better....Look forward to seeing what it does in the waves...

Have you an opinion or experimented with hand tracking and loop size? I notice on my forward cast my hand works down then up during release and I can throw a really tight loop when I want. On the back cast, however, my hand works more up then down and I struggle to get the loop as tight. I can't quite find a way to make my back cast hand path the same as the forward cast....

Thanks

Cheers
Phil
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Watching your slow motion distance video and your hand does the same thing as mine....Just curious Thanks.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Phil, yes the down/up movement is called either Swoop or Thrust. I seem to do it naturally on many casts but I emphasise it for tight loops of sometimes for casting into a very strong headwind. I generally don’t attempt to throw extremely narrow loops with heavy flies, instead I’d much rather a straight top leg aimed directly at the target with the tip down, clear out of the way. This is a good topic! I’m just heading out for dinner. Back later :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Lasse-

How far do you throw a 5 MED indoors? What weight rod do you like for distance with 5 MED?

Thanks
Phil
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Phil

In competition, longest is 33,4 meters, in practice a few meters further. But it's been ages since I had a chance to cast indoors in a hall big enough to really stretch out. The clip you chose there, is from a comp in Sweden in 2012, reason for the contrieved look and the rod so angled out to the side, was the precense of two wires in the celing above, so we had to keep the cast low :)
I have been using a rod that said 6 above the handle, currently it says 9, as I am trying to find an extra 2 meters that Paul claim happens instantly, so far it hasn't ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Damn it Lasse, I do wish you wouldn't listen to me. :D

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally Phil, if you have a rod that is best with a 9 and you put a 9 line on it that really is a 10 then it’s going to feel weird. If it’s an older 9WT then actually clipping the water could be an issue. Nowadays you have to ignore what’s on the tin and have to read the manufacturer’s website. I use some RÍO lines here in the tropics but I go by actual weight. I think that they make great lines but I can’t for the life of me work out why they make most of their saltwater lines exactly one AFFTA overweight. Maybe it’s just because the world has gone mad :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”