PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Straw Poll on Stepping

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: Straw Poll on Stepping

Post by John Waters »

Thanks mate, it does and did.

I'm going to document the two techniques for fly casting and the variations used by exponents of each technique. The most visible differences, and the discipline in which most variations of each technique are employed, is fly distance casting so I thought I would start there. It is also the sport which exhibits the most complex movements, but the same could be said of casting sport in general. There is no sport, decathlon included, which employs as many skills as those used by a caster who competes in all 15 world championship designated casting events. The only movement that is not included is running, and I am very pleased that is the case.

The sportsperson who wins Casting Sport's All Round Champion Title each year does not receive the plaudits they deserve. They are extraordinary exponents of casting and athletics.

John
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

I’ve tried stepping with both left and right, whilst being right handed I found the stepping with the left gave longer casts with a stiffer rod (T42) when using the ICSF 38g line, however the accuracy was not good as compared to stepping with the right on the same outfit.
Changing the rod to a slightly softer T38 stepping with the right produced long casts and where accurate.
The above is in reference to casting from the ground, I struggle once I step on the platform (possibly fear of falling off).
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Andy, appreciate your comments. Interesting comment about your experiences with accuracy and your stepping leg. You're right, the platform forces some changes.

Thanks again,

John
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

What better opportunity to learn something new during these months in which, at least here in Italy, we are still in lockdown.
Some time ago I tried to insert a step forward and a step back, based on what I peeked at Swedish friends. I have a lot of work to do, this is normal, but after the first moments of disorientation, I realized that the key to stepping is to significantly reduce the slack line. This is much more evident when there is a good tailing wind.

Another aspect that should not be underestimated is what I tried in the gym in the exercise called "Cable High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension".

Try this in three distinct ways: Legs together, left leg forward and right leg forward and you will notice some differences.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks for your detailed reply Stefano, appreciate your response. I find it interesting that most casters who step do so with their rod side leg. I don't step with that leg but you are correct about reducing line sag. It also creates an opportunity to increase hand speed at line release point. That is the key and any action that increases rod hand speed will increase distance achieved.

Thanks again,

John

Return to “Casting Sport”