PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hypothetical question on mechanics

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Hypothetical question on mechanics

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Agree, but the turning of the body happens regardless of stance in my experience.

Masterclass looking at the backcast with closed stance :

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Wow!

I am going to guess that Stephan does not cast like that when fishing from of a canoe.

But I really like how he drops his elbow to include the shoulder muscles on his delivery stroke. I have been trying to adopt something similar and it ain't easy!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Mangrove Cuckoo

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 pm Hi chaps,
How do you throw a popper 90ft, when aligned hand, elbow, eyes and throwing 12/6, and not smack yourself in the back of the head?
Sorry I have a bit of catching up to do in this thread! If the fly is coming through low I think that indicates trajectory or slack line issues. Certainly it’s not an issue.
Paul,

I really enjoyed your photos that you linked to today's FP. That is quite an interesting environment that you are fishing! I had always hoped to get similar perspective on the Everglades but I now find out that drones are not allowed in our national parks. :(

But, for some reason I remember photo 131 being a still shot right before you make your presentation stroke on a sighted snakehead.

Could you please repost that and comment?

Thanks!

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Jesus it took me a while to find that :D :D
5FD0CBCF-403B-4E6E-9B5E-53F58C561F21.jpeg
Yep an unexpected position to be in!

However it’s not deep wading in this case; it’s taking shots in the far left quarter. Fish surfaces left, moving left, no time to reset (reposition the feet/body). What matters first and foremost is that the backcast aligns to the forward target, so the hand goes where it should, even if the body is in the wrong stance/position.

(So now I’m Open Stance! Where I have a problem with this, is if I was casting directly to the front).

Incidentally you would love it here. I think something that few people realise is just how little casting actually goes on. On Friday I literally made three casts. A real red letter day would be 10-15 casts and that’s very unusual.

Seeing the Everglades with Drone would be amazing!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:00 am Wow!

I am going to guess that Stephan does not cast like that when fishing from of a canoe.

But I really like how he drops his elbow to include the shoulder muscles on his delivery stroke. I have been trying to adopt something similar and it ain't easy!
I'm going to guess that Stefan doesnt need a 135 feet cast from a canoe either 😉

Cheers
Lasse

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

That is a good video Lasse, I think your guess is correct . Not much, if any, movement of the elbow outside of the shoulder plane.

It is interesting that a number of the best ICSF fly distance casters do the same now. Czech casting coaches instruct that range of the elbow movement with juniors. It is the technique used by the current world distance casting champion, and many current junior fly distance casters. The coaching of that technique uses a left foot forward stance. I watched that video of Stefan many times when I started casting the Trout Distance event, wanting my 5 weight MED to replicate the profile Stefan achieved on his delivery. Great caster.

John
Mangrove Cuckoo

John Waters wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 am The coaching of that technique uses a left foot forward stance.
John
John?

Is that a typo?

The thing that stood out for me was how far his right foot was forward!

I tried it last night and was surprised how much trouble I had with balance. And I was not shifting my weight so much as to actually pause repeatedly on one foot as the caster in the video does.

There are lots of interesting aspects to his technique, and it is quite different than what i see over here.

Are ther more videos of this caster?

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

Stefan used a 6 weight MED there 🙂 its hard to replicate completly with a 5.
He gyrated towards that technique because he used to throw his back out once a year, so not twisting as much in the back helped him. Great caster indeed!

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Left foot forward makes sense when you're casting from a platform.

Theres several clips around of Stefan Siikavaraa , he used to be a regular on SL..

Cheers
Lasse

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Lasse,

Agree, we all need to best fit what is our desired range of movement to our body's possible range of movement. I have been very lucky and not had any injuries, including back issues, although I know of friends who have had back problems. In some cases, absolutely debilitating. I was not aware of Stefan's back issues, he has just gone up a notch or two in my ranking of casters' skill.

John

Return to “Flycasting”