PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Trend to heavier fly lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Trend to heavier fly lines

Post by VGB »

F'k that for a game of soldiers :-)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Vince in NZed a few years ago I had looked at the weather forecast and could see a screaming northwester was going to hit at around midday so I loaded up with 6 with a 6 line. My mate headed out with his 5. At 12, The dust cloud coming down the big open valley looked like there was an army of orcs on the march and boom it hit us. We hadn't gone too far so I sent my mate back to the car where I had another 6 and some lines on reels. He caught up with me and started throwing bloody good casts (he's a CI anyway) in the wind. "I like this set-up" he said. I had a cast with it, it was a #6 One, easy enough to see, but the line was an 8 Outbound short. It smacked those flies out there, into that gale. The casts were only 30 feet anyway. If we know what we're doing we can put it together.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mass is king 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:21 am The closer it gets to throwing spinning tackle and the further away it gets from forming a loop, the more extreme the respective tackle differences become.

I blame Sage :D I also blame us for using the TCR5 for distance casting competitions!

Cheers, Paul
Since throwing a lure and throwing a flyline basicly is the same, what is your point again?

What where the CCS figures for your HT 5/6 again?

;)

Cheers
Lasse

VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Morsie, I had a similar experience in Iceland with Mark Surtees. We were out in a howling gale on top of a hill in an overgrown beat and not many others were able to fish. The set up that I had on the chalk was all I had in the car due to senility and was enough that I knocked out a few fish but it wasn't a pleasure to cast or fish like that in that environment. I wouldn't do it by choice. A #4 rod and #9 line might have solved both those problems but I'm not sure I would have caught much with the fish lying in knee deep water.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Since throwing a lure and throwing a flyline basicly is the same, what is your point again?
I don’t think throwing a flyline and a lure is basically the same thing, otherwise spin anglers could all fly cast. The different between fly casting and spin casting is that the flyline is the weight and we cast it by forming a loop. If they can understand the loop then they can fly cast. Forming a loop in the flyline is not the same thing as throwing a spinner. There are some similarities of course, just as there are similarities to throwing a ball, dart or a javelin. Or for that matter cracking a whip.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

🤣🤣

They can, they just don't throw their mistakes as far with a flyline as they do with a more compact castingweight..

And a loop forms after we have made our cast, ie accelerated our casting weight. Spin fishers do not need to understand a loop before they can cast, 99,99% of flyfishers haven't got a clue about it either 😉

This seriously sound like the argument that to teach someone to throw 120 feet, one needs to be able to throw 130 themselves...

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

They can, they just don't throw their mistakes as far with a flyline as they do with a more compact castingweight..
Ok I’ll bite!

Why?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Its easy to make a cast with a spin rod look like a cast with a fly rod, and it's easy to cast a spin rod when you have a serious fly casting background. The reality is that the impact of an improper acceleration with a spin rod has few consequences for the cast, its still going to get out there, whereas the acceleration and release that most spin casters use is a recipe for either tails or wide open loops with a fly rod. I teach a lot of people who come to fly casting after years of using spin and plug tackle, and mastering the subtleties of acceleration with a fly rod, (where if done incorrectly, the consequences for the cast are dire), is a looong battle for them. I'm talking people who throw hundreds of long casts in a day using a spin rod. They could do it with a spin rod for a thousand years and not throw a tailing loop. Can you throw a tailing loop with a spin rod?
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Improper acceleration with either a spinning reel or revolving drum reel has dire consequences. A break-off,birdsnest or both is the inevitable outcome. The only thing that reduces the chances of that is the breaking strain of the line. Again, the similarities between fly and spin casting are much more relevant and common than are often assumed in my opinion.

As in all types of casting the outcomes are often just a matter of degree.

John

Return to “Flycasting”