PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The effect of Tiptop size

Moderator: Torsten

Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Re: The effect of Tiptop size

Post by Viking Lars »

I do believe that a pear-shaped tip-top can pinch a a line, especially heavier lines, though maybe more with undue wear as a result than any noticeable reduction in casting length.

I don't think size matters much, unless it's ridiculously small. The line should be running fairly straight through the tip-top. But I do prefer round tip-tops, just in case :-).

Lars
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Dirk
Leslie's question about tip top angles intrigues me too now. Can anyone explain the considerations?
My wild arsed guess would be to do with the bending angle and stiffness of the fly line to reduce contact friction with the guide. The only practical science in this answer involved a pot of coffee and a hobnob biscuit.

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
ROF

Post by ROF »

Back haul
Back haul
Back haul tip
Back haul tip
20220103_155824.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Back haul guide
Back haul guide
20220103_160105.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Forward haul
Forward haul
Forward haul tip
Forward haul tip
20220103_155853.jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Foreward haul guide
Foreward haul guide
20220103_160156.jpg (142.07 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Did not realise that the forward haul is such a mess....should turn the reel 90 deg away to avoid pinching..
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

45 degrees will work. But twist the upper three sections and keep the reel aligned.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
ROF

Post by ROF »

Agreed, The guide spacing is way out Vince.... just to amplify for the sake of the pics. I used an old glass tip section for this.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Sorry Leslie, I deleted my question because I thought that the thread was being closed and it would keep the answer as the last post. I usually do a static check of the guides when I build and hadn’t seen anything as acute as your pictures.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Gosh @ROF, that is alarming! Image
ROF

Post by ROF »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:02 pm 45 degrees will work. But twist the upper three sections and keep the reel aligned.

Cheers, Paul
This added some feet to the cast, :yeahhh:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Leslie,

All my rods are set up this way apart from the ones with ceramics/Torzites. If I don’t do this I get “haul lock-up”. Ie Everything locks solid!

It also makes a difference with the “up” part of the double haul. Line runs along the blank, doesn’t shoot, introduces slack.

A few more rings might help! But I don’t think it will completely solve the problem.

Cheers!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Leslie,

I have a few Redingtons, I wouldn't say that the tiptop is the issue (I've checked mine, I don't think pinching is possible) but rather the snake guides, if they have the American pattern (see the H&H FAQ here: https://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/page/faq/FAQs ). These have a "V" at the guide foot and for me it seems to be plausible, this increases friction at the forward cast, when the guides are facing towards the target. Also if the line touches the blank, it could increase the friction. Unfortunately I don't know any well designed study for guide selection vs. casting distance, although I'd really like to know the results!

Thanks,
Torsten
Dirk was casting one of my Redingtons with the SA Comp line. He mentioned that he feels that the line sticks coming forward and pointed out that the Redington tiptop is tear shaped and may resulting in pinching the line.

What is the effect of the shape of the tiptop, the diameter, wire thickness the approach angle? Any magic numbers from distance casting experience?
It makes sense to me to have a perfect round tiptop...?

In most cases the tiptop ID is smaller that the guides...what happens if you attach a eg larger tiptop?

Could not find a thread on this topic, plse redirect as required.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”