PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Mel Krieger Book: The Essence of Flycasting

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bendix
Answers: 0

Mel Krieger Book: The Essence of Flycasting

Post by Bendix »

Hi All

I recently acquired a copy of Mel Kriegers book, “The Essence of Flycasting”. I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet, but have only browsed through it a couple of times, sitting on the train to and from work. But now I plan on actually starting to read it from start to finish during next week!

But seeing how the book was originally written in 1987, I am beginning to wonder, if the information in the book is still relevant? I mean, a lot has happened with fly casting theory since the book was originally published… Just look at the information on this board!

So my question is, will it be worth my time reading this book?

By the way, I should mention, that the book I have, is a Danish translation of the book, published in 1995 (It’s fine, I’m from Denmark). Should it affect the overall experience of the book, that a lot of the technical information, and names of the casts, have been translated into Danish? Or will this be alright?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

/Bendix
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Mel Krieger Book: The Essence of Flycasting

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Its fine, have it in Danish, English and German translation.

Only things a bit off really, is the tippaths and casting arcs but those are generally messed up in almost all books, take them as an approximation. The theory in the book is ok, Mel didn't write it to go in deep, but to help most casters. Most that have happened the last 30 years is a ton of myths that keep popping up.

As always with information, question everything.

If you want to go more in depth, Joan wulffs book flycasting technique is deeper and broader.

And on top, Jason Borgers latest if you can find it. That's the most current book I have read to date.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven’t read it in a long time but I thought it was excellent. It was not supposed to be technical. And I agree with Lasse, stuff like tailing loops is out of date. I think we make Roll Casts differently too, or at least can! I think it’s one of those must read books. Jason’s too. I also enjoyed John Field’s casting book. There are reviews of both on Sexyloops. I’ve no idea where however :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Lasse and Paul

Thanks for your replies!

Your thoughts was exactly what I was thinking, and hoping for! Now I’m even more excited about getting started with the book.

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Mel was a very inspiring instructor, Bendix. I was lucky to meet him a few times. Particularly the first time in the UK when I was working for Guide Fly Fishing and the importers of Redington who he was then associating with. We did a few shows together. This was pre-Sexyloops, around 1997. He taught me to Drift and about “pulling” the stroke. I was very new to instructing back then and had passed my first exam in ‘96. He was a super guy, extremely enthusiastic and great company.

This was at the Simon Cain’s place down in Hampshire. :laugh:
ABA8DECE-398F-4C37-997D-A750ACA39CD4.jpeg
ABA8DECE-398F-4C37-997D-A750ACA39CD4.jpeg (48 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
https://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/peop ... paul.shtml

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

This was at the Simon Cain’s place down in Hampshire.
Simon was at Middle Woodford in Wiltshire when I went to his place to fish the Avon. It was my first ever attempt at fly fishing and resulted in a chunky grayling on a dry.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah I’m never sure where I am or have been! Super place with a great barn/shop. :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

A couple of good pubs as well
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting”