PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Back Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Back Casts

Post by VGB »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:31 pm This is all about casting while standing in a canoe, but you learn that accuracy does not depend upon foot position... and you also learn a lot about things like shoulder position and hauling.
I agree. For myself, I consider range of movement and stability. Side casts and off shoulder are not unusual in river fishing situations and are high level solutions driven by environmental constraints. My view is that putting them fully open for the side cast, the range of movement is opened up which affords the opportunity to develop line speed but there is a greater opportunity for directional error, especially with hard hitters/stoppers. Going off shoulder, reduces the available range of movement and consequently line speed but still leads to directional errors because shoulder dominated motions cause the cast to be drawn down and across the body. Being aware of these limitations and developing solutions to them where possible is all part of the learning process.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Back Casts

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree Gary, often we find ourselves in non-ideal situations trying to make things work.

I spent five summers fishing from a SOT kayak in the States and Canada. That certainly presents some challenges! For one thing we have to frequently make casts in non ideal positions but also we have to simultaneously control the kayak.

Target Accuracy technique can be remarkably similar to JB’s “foundation stroke”. I construct “foundation strokes” for myself and my students. Strong core techniques for me is roots and the trunk. And then it’s easier to branch out. Otherwise it’s not a casting tree; it’s a bush!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”