PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry, applying force through an angle change ie torque for engineers.

Have fun fishing :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:10 pm BTW — we see in real time too but the difference is we see the result. We feel the cause.
Ron

If you are feeling the result before seeing it, you have discovered faster than light.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:44 pm Sorry, applying force through an angle change ie torque for engineers.

Have fun fishing :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
You might think that is the case Paul but all your domes have a flat roof.

Having a lean spell on the rivers. I’ve dropped over 10 fish in a row but got one to stick before rain stopped play. Hoping for a spinner fall before bad light stops play. I can’t fish dry flies through feel 😂
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Ron
RSalar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:33 am Isn't the "feely thing" and the fact that one of you use it as a method of instruction and one doesn't indicate that maybe there is something to the theory that people learn in different ways?
What would your “feely” lesson plan look like? Would you teach them to tail or produce a good cast first and would you blindfold them to sensitise their feeling?

Regards

Vince

Tangled

Post by Tangled »

I took a mate that had never held any kind of fishing rod out in a boat after showing him the basics. As you would imagine it was a bit hit and miss, but he managed to catch one - actually it was a 4lb brownie and we got it into the boat which is pretty amazing for a rank beginner.

Anyway, he made a comment during a day where I'd spent most of it trying to stop him breaking his wrist on the backcast - he said "you can feel it when you get it right can't you?" At the basic level you can, you feel the backcast and following forward cast if done right. All that's happening is that you've managed to keep slack out of the cast so the rod is offering resistance and you feel it.

Also learning to double-haul. The best method I've found in teaching it - and learning myself - was by putting an 9 weight line on a 5 weight rod. You feel that and it gets the basic action started. Once you've overcome the initial patting head and rubbing stomach problem you've started.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Tangled wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 pm Also learning to double-haul. The best method I've found in teaching it - and learning myself - was by putting an 9 weight line on a 5 weight rod. You feel that and it gets the basic action started. Once you've overcome the initial patting head and rubbing stomach problem you've started.
Good point. I have found the same thing to be true when casting older bamboo fly rods — the ones that bend all the way to the grip. Really slow rods “transmit” the feeling of loading and unloading over a longer period of time. I’m sure that if you timed it the difference would be very little but the way we feel things there is an obvious difference (at least to the experienced caster). These slower rods also have to be accelerated more slowly in order to avoid a tail so that is very instructive as well.
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:46 pm Ron

If you are feeling the result before seeing it, you have discovered faster than light.

Regards

Vince
That’s not quite the way it works Vince. You feel how much force and speed you are applying to the rod — that is the CAUSE, not the result. You SEE the RESULT. Feel the cause / see the result. The cause happens before the result. Feeling the rod comes first then you see what that feeling produced by looking at at. Besides wouldn’t you agree. That when you are fishing you should keep your eyes on the fish not your fly rod or line? When I see fishermen watching their line I immediately think: Newbie.

Ron
FFI - CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

RSalar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:25 pm When I see fishermen watching their line I immediately think: Newbie.
:D
FFi CCI
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Wow, a lot of "Newbies" will compete in Norway and Estonia this year, as well as attend the next CCI or MCI accreditation day.

John
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

John Waters wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:03 am Wow, a lot of "Newbies" will compete in Norway and Estonia this year, as well as attend the next CCI or MCI accreditation day.

John
John and Graeme, Competing in the world distance championships is not the same as fishing. I'm referring to fishermen who are actually fishing -- when I watch a group of people fishing (for example fishing through a rotating pool) and see someone looking at their back cast I can tell they are newbies. I'm sorry but they are not good casters. The experienced fishermen are watching the water and looking for any signs of a fish. And they make very good casts without looking at their back cast. I'm surprised that you guys haven't observed the same thing.

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI

Return to “Tackle”