PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Good fly casting instructional book

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: Good fly casting instructional book

Post by RSalar »

Jason Borger wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:47 am FWIW, it’s possible that I may have done a find/replace on excessive acronyms. If that’s good news to you, then we’ll both be happy.
I think that one of the most useful features built into ebooks is the ability to highlight a word and instantly get a definition. I know the sexyloop elite casters (SLEC) don’t use dictionaries, but I have to admit that I do. The problem is that most ebooks link to one of the major dictionaries — the New Oxford American or Webster’s and amazing as it might seem they don’t have the SLEC acronyms. You might have to add a proprietary acronym dictionary to your book — if that’s even possible. If so it would be great.

Question for Paul: Have you looked into the possibility of having an E-dictionary of casting terms and acronyms that could be added to your website? When I use the search function for that it usually comes back that there were to many instances to return a result. A separate dictionary search window just for SLEC terms and acronyms would be awesome.

HAGD,

Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme H wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:47 am For the non-elite:

Good idea Vince, thanks for that.
When you pass your MCI, you will be able to carry all of the volumes in your shirt pocket.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Once I’ve passed the MCI, I’ll be qualified to make my own TLAs. 😁
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Make sure you don’t tell RON
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

The Rest Of Normality will never know.
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ron,

That’s actually an excellent idea. I have in fact long considered using a glossary of fly fishing and casting terms for site navigation. Sometime in the next 12 months I plan to overhaul Sexyloops and with this idea running through the background. It will achieve what you say and also find a way of navigating through past content, some of which needs to be updated.

I rarely use the SL search function and instead use Google with a keyword Sexyloops or Sexyloops.com. But not all pages are indexed, especially some of the more obscure ones. The Board search function isn’t too bad.

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 pm Hi Ron,

That’s actually an excellent idea. I have in fact long considered using a glossary of fly fishing and casting terms for site navigation. Sometime in the next 12 months I plan to overhaul Sexyloops and with this idea running through the background. It will achieve what you say and also find a way of navigating through past content, some of which needs to be updated.

I rarely use the SL search function and instead use Google with a keyword Sexyloops or Sexyloops.com. But not all pages are indexed, especially some of the more obscure ones. The Board search function isn’t too bad.

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Funny you should say that. I thought about the SL acronym thing today while mindlessly casting in the wind and changed my mind 180 degrees. I think it is kind of cool to be “in the club” — one of the SLEC who knows all the acronyms. VGB brought up sales — it is a well known sales technique to make what you have hard to get. It’s like reverse selling. Instead of pushing it— you take it away. If you tell someone they can’t have something, they want it even more. Here is the idea: To be a SLEC member you have to be able to cast a 5MED 100 feet and get at least a 90% on the acronym test. Then you have a SLEC Members Only section on your site for only the best of the best — the Top Guns of Sexyloops. You could host an annual fishing trip and banquet on your boat and charge extra for the privaledge of being invited. It would be a very exclusive event — only SLECs get an invite — and you charge them $1000 a plate just for the privilege of attending and dining on your boat (or in the jungle around a camp fire). Maybe you give them some trinkets — a tee shirt or hat or something so they can post pictures of themselves on social media. There would be a late night casting contest from the roof — the winner gets a fly rod. Lot’s of potential!

If you want help setting it up — let me know — I’m happy to be your even coordinator.

—Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

VGB brought up sales — it is a well known sales technique to make what you have hard to get. It’s like reverse selling. Instead of pushing it— you take it away. If you tell someone they can’t have something, they want it even more.
Told you they were all unscrupulous robbing b’stards

RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Those damn URBs! Trying to sell us the latest and greatest fly rods when they know in their heart of hearts that Bend Doesn’t Matter (BDM).

You can’t trust those hypocritical BDM bastards
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Sounds like a recipe for beer drinking, casting, fishing and campfires, Ron. We would never do anything like that :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”