PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

“Triangle Method”

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: “Triangle Method”

Post by VGB »

That’s fine Mark but I regularly teach people with 25+ years of fishing experience, reasonable casters and with very little work would pass CCI if that’s what they want, who have *never* cast Closed Stance!
How did they get to that point and why do you class them as reasonable casters if they can only cast one way?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:34 pmIndeed. Bringing in semblance of Stance/Position when you start with the TM is a very good way of drawing attention to the feet and balance.
What does a semblance of stance position mean in your lesson, is it an aim of that task?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

A great man said:
his is certainly a hot topic in motor learning. At the end of the day, we are not puppet masters pulling the strings, so it is all self-organization at a basic level. The question is whether the athlete is learning to self-organize under learning conditions that represent the skill in real life - I call this the National Geographic filter - is this how it is done in the wild. Now, people argue that the more the athlete can “figure it out or solve it” on their own the better. The rationale here is simple, if you learn without understanding how you learned (i.e., not being exposed to detailed - step-by-step - instruction) then you are less likely to over-analyze and succumb to paralysis x analysis. This is why we say “it is like riding a bike” when it comes to moments or behaviors that are engrained at a physical opposed to conceptual level. With all this said, we have to recognize that humans are movement generalists - we can run, swim, and climb, but we are not the best runners, swimmers, and climbers in the animal kingdom. As such, the body is really good at getting good enough. Learning to ride a bike is not the same as becoming an elite BMXer. Thus, instruction is often what is needed to go from “good to better.” However, the health warning here is what led to the debate on whether “to coach or not to coach.” If we over-coach with the wrong information, even with the best of intentions, we can lead the athlete to create a hyper-intellectual or conceptual understanding of the movement that is as physically strong or embedded in their sense of performing it. This is best seen when the athlete says, “I know what to do, I just don’t know how to do it.” This is why having a methodology for effective cue and analogy creation is essential. This methodology, built on the motor learning area of attentional focus, helps the coach understand how to “educate the students attention” in a way that harmonizes with “natural” self-organization, rather distracting from it. In short, it is about better cueing and better constraints not cues vs. constraints. 

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Walking… in slow motion… is a great idea. Two casts left foot. Two casts right foot. I shall try that!

Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

With all this said, we have to recognize that humans are movement generalists - we can run, swim, and climb, but we are not the best runners, swimmers, and climbers in the animal kingdom. As such, the body is really good at getting good enough. Learning to ride a bike is not the same as becoming an elite BMXer. Thus, instruction is often what is needed to go from “good to better.”
Exactly Vince. I’m trying to help make the disconnect between where we first get them and where we get them again. And where we get them again could be a lot better!

Hence the topic.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

I dunno, I think y'all might be violently agreeing whilst talking past each other :D

I think you can prescribe a stance (or stances) as a constraint that allows students to explore different options. Getting people to understand the pros and cons of different stances is a worthwhile thing to do.

If I remember right, Winkelman is quite into specifying starting positions as the "Describe" part of his DDCDD chain.

If we're talking about new skills (to either novice or advanced) then we might add more constraints (e.g. stance) to start with to get them to centre on a more efficient solution early on. Once the basics are acquired (either for a basic or advanced skill) we can introduce more variation to get them to explore wider solutions that represent real-life fishing/casting situations.

One of the possible good outcomes in exploring different stances is that you get to learn the common denominator across them all - which for me might be stability in hips and shoulders whilst delivering the loop. Developing external cues to speed this up is an on-going challenge for me. I think I maybe resorting to more athletic tape in future! :D
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:27 pm Exactly Vince. I’m trying to help make the disconnect between where we first get them and where we get them again. And where we get them again could be a lot better!
Hi Paul, I don’t get too exercised about any disconnects or if I’m seeing them for the first time and they have been self taught. Rather than trying to fix individual errors, I just take them through the dance in accordance with Old Way/New Way. I introduce it as a growth path with a simple explanation of why it’s good for them.

Regards

Vince

VGB

Post by VGB »

Will wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:53 pm I think you can prescribe a stance (or stances) as a constraint that allows students to explore different options. Getting people to understand the pros and cons of different stances is a worthwhile thing to do.
Hi Will

I agree to a point but I think the textbook stance teaching is way too focused on fixed foot placement and not on outcomes. I find it a lot easier and simpler to demonstrate than talk my way through it because I’ve found that results in a 1000 yard stare from the student as their working memory overloads.

If necessary, I’ll usually go between fully open and fully closed and talk about the trade off between tip path length and tracking, modelling good and bad outcomes based on the straightness or otherwise of the fly leg. Provided they have the basic dance right, I let them play with it to find their own limits of control but bringing them back to their safe space if it comes unravelled.
Once the basics are acquired (either for a basic or advanced skill) we can introduce more variation to get them to explore wider solutions that represent real-life fishing/casting situations.
If they are already fishing, I prefer to start with the fishing application that they are interested in learning or having problems with. I find it helps them to be situated in a scenario and allow them to believe that the new way they are being shown will solve their problem. I think that it’s much easier to engage students with the real world than abstract instructional concepts.

Sorry if I’ve misinterpreted anything, it’s been a long day and I am quite befuddled at the moment.

Regards

Vince

Will

Post by Will »

I’ll usually go between fully open and fully closed and talk about the trade off between tip path length and tracking, modelling good and bad outcomes based on the straightness or otherwise of the fly leg. Provided they have the basic dance right, I let them play with it to find their own limits of control but bringing them back to their safe space if it comes unravelled.
Yup - me too! The interesting thing for me is that by varying the stance, the student will learn stuff and find an optimum way(s) for them. I agree with Paul here that it's something they won't easily find out by themselves without us changing the constraints. All of which is a long way away from the traditional "one-true-way" of teaching stance.
I prefer to start with the fishing application that they are interested in learning or having problems with.
Absolutely. However, this doesn't mean we can't then use constraints based work to move them to where they want to be.

Short of actually fishing all coaching/instruction is slightly abstract/conceptual, so one of our jobs is to link any drills or exercises back to the fishing application.
I am quite befuddled at the moment
Befuddled is my default state.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

If you are standing on the bow of a modern poling skiff, you usually stand with your feet parallel, straddling the keel, for balance and so as not to tilt the boat.

If the guide yells "9 O'clock", you rotate your head, shoulders, and hips to look left and prepare to cast... but you don't lift your feet to reposition to some preordained position, because doing so could make noise or send shock waves from the boat. Besides, you are now in a pretty comfortable "open" stance.

What if the guide yells "3"? Head, shoulders and hips rotate right, and feet swivel too. Now you are in a "closed" stance?

Or, is it an open stance for the backhand delivery? (Or open stance for a left handed cast?)

Feet do not define a stance... the rest of the body does. And you better be able to cast from multiple "stances".

What is most important is balance, and that comes from knees that are not locked... and like in rock climbing: you must keep your chin over your b***s at all times. :laugh:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Teaching”