PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Single handed distance roll casting

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Single handed distance roll casting

Post by Stoatstail50 »

. Simple really - because as a general rule those I've seen are pretty shithouse, and not up to the standard of passing even the CI test - which requires consistent sized loops front and back (maximum 4ft) with no tails.
Oops 👏👏😂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Morsie wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:13 am
I've heard criticism of competition casters' back casts from some instructors, even MCIs,
Simple really - because as a general rule those I've seen are pretty shithouse, and not up to the standard of passing even the CI test - which requires consistent sized loops front and back (maximum 4ft) with no tails.
Simple really - Just like fishing is it not? Both the fish and the competition targets are always in the direction of the delivery/front cast.

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:07 pm Hi Paul,
Let's come back to topic. What are you watching in your back casts for roll casts?
Hi everyone,
This question was to Paul (Paul?), but I d love to read all of you about this. I often see, that the caster does NOT look back in the roll bc. So, how about you, do you watch back and if, what are you looking at?
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I do, but not on the static roll cast. 😁

I was taught to do so by Paul, so I’m doing similar things to what he has described.

I also teach all my students to watch their back cast whenever they can.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Graeme H wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:36 am I do, but not on the static roll cast. 😁

I also teach all my students to watch their back cast whenever they can.
That's interesting. Very common though.
Wouldn't you want to to control your D setup including rod position? And how about rod hand positioning? Especially for distance!
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Bernd,

The D? Not on a static roll cast. I know where it’s hanging by looking at the rod grip. But I rarely even look at that directly since I have very good peripheral vision (years of basketball).

I am quite aware of the rod hand position though.

You did ask specifically about watching the back cast and this thread is supposed to be about the roll cast.

Cheers, Graeme

(I count the dynamic roll cast as something different to the roll cast, which for me, refers to a static roll.)
FFi CCI
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Both the fish and the competition targets are always in the direction of the delivery/front cast.
If I had an instructor who constantly threw wide shitty back casts, but thought they were OK, or who had never even taken a look at them and addressed the issues that cause them, I'd want my money back. But the reference you made was to an MCI commenting, and I know that was in reference to a tournament caster wanting to train for their CI. Most examiners I know consider the first back cast of the first task to set the tone for the test, and that is what I tell all the CI candidates I train - make sure that first backcast is a bloody good clean loop with parallel legs and a maximum of 4ft between them ...... That's all........you can do whatever you like when you're throwing at hoops or fish, and if you wish, you can also do it when you rock up for a casting instructor certification exam as well, but you'll be disappointed at the outcome. Just to get back on topic, its the same as having a shitty Dloop and not knowing it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Graeme H wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:11 am The D? Not on a static roll cast. I know where it’s hanging by looking at the rod grip.
Hi Greame,
Exactly why I want my students to look back. How much percentage of the available distance to speed up your rod hand are you using on a static roll cast, when you don't look back, but can still see your rod hand? 100% would be arm stretched back horizontally.
Cheers
B
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Totally agree that Peter…If you don’t look, you don’t know what’s going on back there.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Here is a very good static roll cast performance at high distance. I have seen very, very few who could hit over 20m in the static roll cast with such tackle!

Let's imagine this cast would be adapted to the WC.

Would we see anyone starting the forward cast at head position, but not further back after let's say 2 or 3 WCs?

I see the experts in the WC using a long path mostly!
According to my experience this does make sense.

So, how about this for the static roll cast?
Cheers
B

Return to “Flycasting”