PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What do you need to know.

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: What do you need to know.

Post by VGB »

Will wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:29 am A similar comparison is made between internal and external cues.
In the Winkelman book, I like the explanation that an external cue are able to encourage the learning of complex movements without the aid of complex knowledge. I think the resultant reduction in cognitive workload of not having to remember a long set of instructions that will be processed in serial fashion is critical to retention and producing smooth movement.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:41 pm It's about my mind set as well though.

How often have I heard "You cant teach hauling to a beginner." Huge limit for an instructor!
It’s not only yours but the students Bernd. If you tell them something is impossible, they will believe you and not even attempt the task :???:

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:42 am
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:41 pm It's about my mind set as well though.

How often have I heard "You cant teach hauling to a beginner." Huge limit for an instructor!
It’s not only yours but the students Bernd. If you tell them something is impossible, they will believe you and not even attempt the task :???:

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince,
Agree.
That was exactly my point. ;)
To me it always felt like setting levels kind of limits me in what to teach. And if I think of something maybe too difficult yet... my student has no chance. I want as few limits in my look as possible. It's about my mind set as well though.
Student's almost only chance is in me believing in it to be possible for him first. Otherwise nearly no chance for him.
Regards
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi,
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:00 pm Hi Vince,
fair question. I don't know what level of fly casting qualifies "a very fine caster" for you. For me that would be a fly caster who can shape all loops from open to pretty tight in a particular smooth way. He would have great control of loop shape, line speed and trajectory. He would master all this both with and without hauling. He could hit serious distance as properly control short distance presentations. He would have a significant range of casts available.

In my experience I haven't seen this level ever in self educated casters, who didn't take lessons.
I often heard this fairytale, especially from commercial instructors. I've never paid for any lesson.

Greetings,
Torsten
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Torsten wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:27 am Hi,
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:00 pm In my experience I haven't seen this level ever in self educated casters, who didn't take lessons.
I often heard this fairytale, especially from commercial instructors. I've never paid for any lesson.
Hi Torsten,
I wrote: "who didn't take lessons." I didn't write: "who didn't pay money for lessons."
I took many lessons without paying money to the teacher either. My mate Paul has taught me something valuable every time we were casting together. Asking questions to many instructors on SL and learning due to their excellent answers is one never ending lesson to me.
Buying Mel Kriegers book and discussing some parts of it with him was him teaching me. Publishing a video of me casting and having instructors (or none instructors) pointing details out to me, has taught me a lot.
Paying money for learning from an instructor is not what qualifies a lesson to be one imo. When I was in school as a kid, some teachers would only write stuff on the wall not saying much and this was me being in their lesson. I don't see a difference, if I read of a wall or out of a book. The author behind the book is my teacher.
No way I could have figured fly casting out on my own. And I am pretty sure you had other casting geeks looking at your casting and pointing things out to you within your casting group many times. They were teaching you many things I assume. ;)
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Bernd,

in my case, fly casting for fly fishing, the right term would be "self-taught"; with the definition: "Self-taught is having knowledge or skills acquired by one's own efforts without formal instruction" [1][2][3]. This includes of course learning from books and video material.

Fully self-organized learning without a teacher and without instructional materials would be another challege; interesting experiment though! (Also called unassisted discovery learning [4]) Can't say if someone would make progress or not.

Greetings,
Torsten

[1] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/self-taught
[2] https://www.dictionary.com/browse/self-taught
[3] https://www.thefreedictionary.com/self-taught
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_learning
VGB

Post by VGB »

Torsten wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:27 am I often heard this fairytale, especially from commercial instructors. I've never paid for any lesson.

Greetings,
Torsten
I never paid or received money for sex, it doesn’t make me a virgin or prostitute

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Formal lessons on not, I do think that in order to progress to high intermediate level we need coaching. I like Winkelman’s thoughts on this…
we have to recognize that humans are movement generalists - we can run, swim, and climb, but we are not the best runners, swimmers, and climbers in the animal kingdom. As such, the body is really good at getting good enough. Learning to ride a bike is not the same as becoming an elite BMXer. Thus, instruction is often what is needed to go from “good to better.”
But it’s also well worth rereading the entire answer to my question…
When studying an athlete’s movement, many of us have what I call an “ideal movement silhouette filter” that we place between the athlete and ourselves. Yet we also talk about athlete self-organisation through constraints. Sometimes it’s just a hell of a lot easier and quicker to say to an athlete “try this”. Are the results for self-organisation so compelling that this is always a better way?
This is certainly a hot topic in motor learning. At the end of the day, we are not puppet masters pulling the strings, so it is all self-organization at a basic level. The question is whether the athlete is learning to self-organize under learning conditions that represent the skill in real life - I call this the National Geographic filter - is this how it is done in the wild. Now, people argue that the more the athlete can “figure it out or solve it” on their own the better. The rationale here is simple, if you learn without understanding how you learned (i.e., not being exposed to detailed - step-by-step - instruction) then you are less likely to over-analyze and succumb to paralysis x analysis. This is why we say “it is like riding a bike” when it comes to moments or behaviors that are engrained at a physical opposed to conceptual level. With all this said, we have to recognize that humans are movement generalists - we can run, swim, and climb, but we are not the best runners, swimmers, and climbers in the animal kingdom. As such, the body is really good at getting good enough. Learning to ride a bike is not the same as becoming an elite BMXer. Thus, instruction is often what is needed to go from “good to better.” However, the health warning here is what led to the debate on whether “to coach or not to coach.” If we over-coach with the wrong information, even with the best of intentions, we can lead the athlete to create a hyper-intellectual or conceptual understanding of the movement that is as physically strong or embedded in their sense of performing it. This is best seen when the athlete says, “I know what to do, I just don’t know how to do it.” This is why having a methodology for effective cue and analogy creation is essential. This methodology, built on the motor learning area of attentional focus, helps the coach understand how to “educate the students attention” in a way that harmonizes with “natural” self-organization, rather distracting from it. In short, it is about better cueing and better constraints not cues vs. constraints.
There is a lot in there.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

What does a new instructor need to know about casting in order to give a relative novice an effective lesson?
1. What it is that we're trying to achieve (to efficiently use a rod to cast an unrolling loop of line that will efficiently carry the fly to the target).

2. How we do that. Triangle method.

Morsie
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Yet we also talk about athlete self-organisation through constraints. Sometimes it’s just a hell of a lot easier and quicker to say to an athlete “try this”. Are the results for self-organisation so compelling that this is always a better way?……… At the end of the day, we are not puppet masters pulling the strings, so it is all self-organization at a basic level.
You can certainly do “try this” but self organisation will still fine tune the movement for the individual. It has to because we are all snowflakes ❄️

Return to “Teaching”