PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Old clip, some familiar faces

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Old clip, some familiar faces

Post by Paul Arden »

They could wear scuba suits.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten
Answers: 0

Post by Torsten »

Hi John,
On a very sad note, Helmut Hochwartner passed away last week. Helmut was a multiple world champion fly and plug caster and has a great coach and
administrator of both Austrian casting but world casting for decades.
:oh: :(
Have not known this.
My most sincere condolences to Helmut's family and his friends around the world.
Me too!
Will tell it the others.

Greetings,
Torsten
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

NM

Post by NM »

Hi James,
Yes, getting the T120, or even the T38, liner out of the water and airborn was hard. :evil: I have done it, but not in competitions as we by then had moved on land. One of the participants at the 73 WC, Rune Nysveen that John mention, today confirmed to me that they indeed used the old club rod that I also used for the two-handed fly distance event and the same lines that we used on land the following years. It was super-fast sinking but a bit thicker than the orange barstool lines that we now are using and the grey Scientific Anglers that we used before that. They were good when you had solid tailwind (Leif Stavmo won the single hand distance event with 70 meters at the WC in 79 with that line), but also brittle—it hit the platform and broke on my first cast in that event in that same WC, and we didn’t have any repair time or replacement lines back then.:666: :(

John,
Indeed. Steve’s stroke seems to be largely unchanged. Including how low he has his hand during the stroke. Big difference from the German casters in particular, but also Leif, me, my brother, and most other Scandinavian casters back then.
Rune also confirmed that it was not Joan.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Wonderful, thanks so much for posting that!!

I too thought at first that is was Joan, but then thought not, based on the caster Anne Strobel looks to be taller than Joan, and that IMO Joan would have displayed a more energetic stroke.

By the way, Joan is 96. I spoke with her two days ago; she loves (demands lovingly... ) to get fishing reports and discuss it all. I will see her soon - maybe I can get her to watch the film. Related, a couple of seasons ago she showed me a video taken with a drone of her casting distance out on a field in Florida. Two false casts in she knocks the drone out of the air. The video shows the line coming directly up and at it and then BAM! ...video over. We laughed and laughed, playing it several times. She still very much loves casting and fishing.

Great to see all the casters in action.

Craig
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Craig

Please give my warm regards to Joan, highlight of my CI certification in 2005 was her workshop :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Happily Lasse !

Return to “Casting Sport”