PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Figure 8 retrieve

Moderator: Paul Arden

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Figure 8 retrieve

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

A little while ago, a video was posted in a thread that showed Blane Chocklett teaching how to cast very large flies, apparently for large Pike and Musky, although I don’t believe it was specified. The video was of interest to me as I sometimes fish with large flies, but nowhere close to the size he had on his leader.

One curious observation that I made, that was also not addressed in the video, was that his flyrod had an extended fighting butt, similar to what I have seen in the past on “Switch” rods. And I wondered if “switching” to a two-handed technique might be something he did to lessen the physical burden, and if it would also benefit me?

It struck a nerve because a close friend of mine, due to his good nature (or maybe something else, but he is happily married) introduced two young women to flyfishing for large tarpon. He actually guided them (for free) into catching their first and, eventually, one over 100#. The two ladies are YouTube influencers, supposedly, and travel around making fishing videos. As they are from Canada, they did not have the most popular tarpon tackle, instead they used a Musky kit, which had - you guessed it- an extended butt like for switch casting. The fact that my friend commented on their casting, when he is frequently treated to watching my fabulous casting sort of bothered me. (I think he did it on purpose!)

Asking around, or more accurately, up north, to some folks I know, I was schooled a bit about Pike fishing. And it turns out that the extended butt is not necessarily for casting. But rather, it allows for a common technique of “figure-eighting” the fly next to the boat before lifting for the next cast. It seems that Pike and their like often follow the lure (or fly) all the way to boatside, and can often be seduced into eating when this technique is employed.

Does anyone commonly do this elsewhere in the world, for Pike, or anything else?

A curious side note, almost lost to history here in South Florida, is that this “figure eight” technique was commonly done for snook back when it was still legal to commercially catch them. But, instead of a traditional rod, the tool used was an extremely strong bamboo pole, called a “Calcutta” rod, if I remember correctly. (This practice actually ended somewhere around when I was born.)

The very strong fishing line only extended about 2 feet beyond the tip of the pole, but the line was attached to the pole in multiple places all the way back to the butt… since the poles would occasionally break under the weight and strength of the large snook that were targeted (up to around 50#). The lure was simply moved in circles and eights on the water surface. And when the fish struck, which I guess was not uncommon, the rod was retrieved hand over hand while directly pointed at the fish.

Not completely unlike how Paul fights Snakeheads! :D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Bendix

Re: Figure 8 retrieve

Post by Bendix »

Hi Gary

I have never used this technique myself, as I rarely fly fish for Pike from a boat here in Denmark, but I have seen some movies on YouTube, where Swedish Pike fly fishermen occasionally use the “figure eight” method when they have a fish follow the fly all the way to the boat. And it seems to work well on the Swedish Pike.

/Bendix
George C

Post by George C »

Figure 8 , Florida style.
With a fly rod would it qualify as a cast or a mend?
Best with audio off and FF about 1:35
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I also wondered about the butt on that rod but what you're saying does explain why they would have that grip.

The figure 8 is not something I've done in salt but I can think of a couple of times when I probably should have tried it. I used it for musky at the direction of my guide in Michigan.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah. Different figure of 8 :D No. But the former yes! Will post tomorrow :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

So I assume this making the 8 with the rod tip and not the figure of 8 finger retrieve! I don’t here because the fish usually spook on the boat. I do think changes of angle is a very important skill with all fish. What would worry me here would be the fish biting the rod tip. I had a guest very nearly have this happen to him when the fish overtook the popper and went for the rod. But it’s definitely something to play with I believe.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

Can you point me in a direction to learn more about the "figure of 8" retrieve that you were thinking I meant?

I did not know that the finger retrieve thing was called F of 8.

It seems there are variations that allow for altering the retrieve rate?

This is completely off my radar screen. And when I asked about it, I was told I'd have to look overseas for information.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sure Gary. There is an animated gif on this page..

https://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/les ... ieve.shtml

I’m sure you do it but I don’t know what you call it over there?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”